GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lichens (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9539-lichens.html)

Jonathan Ward 26-02-2003 01:34 PM

Lichens

A lot of my trees and shrubs have lichen on them.This appears to be robust
enoough to stop buds (both flowe and leaf) developing in places. Is the lichen
harming the plants or is it just adapting to other problems. For example we
appear to have a lot of canker in the garden.

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

Nick Maclaren 26-02-2003 01:54 PM

Lichens

In article ,
(Jonathan Ward) writes:
| A lot of my trees and shrubs have lichen on them.This appears to be robust
| enoough to stop buds (both flowe and leaf) developing in places. Is the lichen
| harming the plants or is it just adapting to other problems. For example we
| appear to have a lot of canker in the garden.

Almost certainly the latter. As far as I know, lichens will never
stop the development of buds, at least on plants in the UK, but
the failure of bugs to develop will allow the lichen to grow
when otherwise it might have been pushed off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Martin Sykes 26-02-2003 02:00 PM

Lichens

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
A lot of my trees and shrubs have lichen on them.This appears to be robust
enoough to stop buds (both flowe and leaf) developing in places. Is the

lichen
harming the plants or is it just adapting to other problems. For example

we
appear to have a lot of canker in the garden.

As far as I know, lichen doesn't get anything from the tree and IIRC it's
actually a symbiote of a fungus and something else. That;s why it grows fine
on gravestones and roofs etc. It's probably something else affecting your
trees.

Martin

H 26-02-2003 02:34 PM

Lichens

I appear to have this on a load of gooseberry plants I've recently
inherited. Would it be better to remove this, and if so, how, or can I leave
it on. All the branches of the plants are covered with grey lichen.

Or could it be something totally different?

Best,

- h

Nick Maclaren 26-02-2003 03:08 PM

Lichens

In article , "H" writes:
| I appear to have this on a load of gooseberry plants I've recently
| inherited. Would it be better to remove this, and if so, how, or can I leave
| it on. All the branches of the plants are covered with grey lichen.
|
| Or could it be something totally different?

It's probably lichen. Ignore it.

DaveDay34 26-02-2003 07:43 PM

Lichens

Lichen usually appears on plants that have a slower than normal growth rate.
Pruning some trees/shrubs can encourage new growth and the remaining lichen can
be left to its own devices. It won't do any harm. It is however a useful
indicator of how fast your trees/shrubs are growing.

Dave.

JennyC 27-02-2003 07:31 AM

Lichens

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
Lichen usually appears on plants that have a slower than normal

growth rate.
Pruning some trees/shrubs can encourage new growth and the remaining

lichen can
be left to its own devices. It won't do any harm. It is however a

useful
indicator of how fast your trees/shrubs are growing.

Dave.

You should be glad to have lichen in your garden - they only grow in
clean air :~)

http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/Resources/F..._4/Air_Polluti
on/19.html

Jenny