Old 06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Rhiannon Sands

Default rattle grass

Hi.
Does anyone here have any advice on the care and planting of rattle grass?
I've bought the large and small varieties and I was wondering if you had to
deadhead them so they would grow fresh rattles, if they last for a few
months, or if the plants will keep throwing up new ones?

Thanks in advance

--

Rhiannon_S
I'm not an idiot, I'm just communing with my Pineal gland!

Old 07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:04:39 +0100, "Rhiannon Sands"
wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone here have any advice on the care and planting of rattle grass?
I've bought the large and small varieties and I was wondering if you had to
deadhead them so they would grow fresh rattles, if they last for a few
months, or if the plants will keep throwing up new ones?

Thanks in advance

aka Briza media, quaking grass or doddering dillies. Seed heads
(rattles) form in May. Cut them off at the end of the summer. Lightly
trim the foliage at the same time to encourage some fresh growth (but
no new rattles) which keeps it tidy through autumn. Not fussy about
soil, and grows in full sun or light shade. Long lived, and seeds
itself everywhere IME. Once you've got it, you have it for life!

--
Chris

Old 09-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Rhiannon Sands

wrote:

Hi.
Does anyone here have any advice on the care and planting of rattle

grass?
I've bought the large and small varieties and I was wondering if you had

deadhead them so they would grow fresh rattles, if they last for a few
months, or if the plants will keep throwing up new ones?

Thanks in advance

aka Briza media, quaking grass or doddering dillies. Seed heads
(rattles) form in May. Cut them off at the end of the summer. Lightly
trim the foliage at the same time to encourage some fresh growth (but
no new rattles) which keeps it tidy through autumn. Not fussy about
soil, and grows in full sun or light shade. Long lived, and seeds
itself everywhere IME. Once you've got it, you have it for life!

Self seeding is good, especially with such a nice looking (and sounding)
plant. Can I just ask, it says that it's Briza maxima on the label. Is
that a different type?

Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:40:02 +0100, "Rhiannon Sands"
wrote:

Self seeding is good, especially with such a nice looking (and sounding)
plant. Can I just ask, it says that it's Briza maxima on the label. Is
that a different type?

I don't know, but it suggests a larger version of B. media

--
Chris

yellow rattle Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 3 17-08-2012 11:56 AM
Using Yellow Rattle as natural grass suppressant in an orchard - any ideas gray United Kingdom 2 06-06-2009 04:45 PM
Rattle grass again, for Rhiannon Sands Chris Hogg United Kingdom 2 19-06-2005 10:08 PM
Shake, Rattle and Roll joe Ponds 3 16-06-2004 06:10 PM
selective herbicides: Liriope and Japanese Stilt Grass- bamboo grass? Doctoroe Gardening 2 21-08-2003 02:32 AM