Old 06-06-2005, 03:02 PM
ajr

Default Garlic - help please!

Good afternoon,

Finally got out into the garden today after a week of rain to find that many
of my garlic plants are developing buds, which I assume means that they are
about to flower and then 'bolt'?

Is this correct, and if so what should I do? Do I remove the 'buds', as I
would with onions, or dig them up now or leave them in the ground?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Andrew

Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Gary Woods

"ajr" wrote:

Good afternoon,

Finally got out into the garden today after a week of rain to find that many
of my garlic plants are developing buds, which I assume means that they are
about to flower and then 'bolt'?

You cut off the stalks, called "scapes," to direct all the plant's energy
into the bulb. The scapes are tasty in stir-fries, or ground up for pesto.

Hardneck garlic puts up scapes, but other types will under stress.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Bob Hobden

Andrew wrote..
Finally got out into the garden today after a week of rain to find that
many of my garlic plants are developing buds, which I assume means that
they are about to flower and then 'bolt'?

Is this correct, and if so what should I do? Do I remove the 'buds', as I
would with onions, or dig them up now or leave them in the ground?

Any advice gratefully received!

Some Garlic does that as a matter of course, you can cut the flower heads
off if you want to but it doesn't seem to make much difference to the crop.
It's not like onions, you won't get a big "pipe" right through the middle.
Don't worry about it.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 06-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Peter Donovan

Hi, I am growing Garlic for the first time.The variaty being Solent Wright
No problems as such ,but some of the leaves are blotched with what seems
like rust.I know that this rare disease affects leeks but not Garlic I have
a great crop of onions on the allotment just ripening (no problem with
rust)I have some hardnecked Italian garlic seeding as discribed cut them out
..This Variaty has no rust any ideas
Thanks

Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 PM
ajr

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Andrew wrote..
Finally got out into the garden today after a week of rain to find that
many of my garlic plants are developing buds, which I assume means that
they are about to flower and then 'bolt'?

Is this correct, and if so what should I do? Do I remove the 'buds', as
I would with onions, or dig them up now or leave them in the ground?

Any advice gratefully received!

Some Garlic does that as a matter of course, you can cut the flower heads
off if you want to but it doesn't seem to make much difference to the
crop.
It's not like onions, you won't get a big "pipe" right through the middle.
Don't worry about it.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Gary / Bob,

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to chop off the heads now - like the idea
of putting them in a stir fry!!

Andrew

Old 07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Bob Hobden

"Peter Donovan" wrote
Hi, I am growing Garlic for the first time.The variaty being Solent Wright
No problems as such ,but some of the leaves are blotched with what seems
like rust.I know that this rare disease affects leeks but not Garlic I
have a great crop of onions on the allotment just ripening (no problem
with rust)I have some hardnecked Italian garlic seeding as discribed cut
them out .This Variaty has no rust any ideas

I've only heard of one instance where severe rust on garlic caused a bad
crop. Ours normally get a bit of it, as it has at the moment, but again, it
doesn't seem to harm the crop. Won't be too many weeks before it's time to
dig it up anyway.
Nice thick stems this year so hopefully big heads of garlic are forming
below ground.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Help - Rust on my Garlic! Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 6 12-06-2003 10:08 AM