Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Registered User

Wink propagating trees from bulb

I have a rather large monkey puzzle tree in my back garden. There are currently many bulbs that are growing at the tops of the tree, i would like to know if its possible to grow them into trees, and how i would go about doing so?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from CindyBurbridge contains
these words:

I have a rather large monkey puzzle tree in my back garden. There are
currently many bulbs that are growing at the tops of the tree, i would
like to know if its possible to grow them into trees, and how i would
go about doing so?

I'd sell it to Kew quickly - it must be unique.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Brian

"CindyBurbridge" wrote in message

I have a rather large monkey puzzle tree in my back garden. There are
currently many bulbs that are growing at the tops of the tree, i would
like to know if its possible to grow them into trees, and how i would
go about doing so?

--
CindyBurbridge

_________________________
Your "bulb" is probably a cone and even then highly unlikely to produce
seeds in the UK, though I have known an exception. It is possible to
propagate from terminal cuttings and this was discussed during Chelsea~~ ~ I
find it the most undesirable of all trees with nothing in its favour. I
have/had a dozen supposedly planted in 1832 and find them ugly to an
extreme.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 PM
J Jackson

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
: The message
: from CindyBurbridge contains
: these words:

: I have a rather large monkey puzzle tree in my back garden. There are
: currently many bulbs that are growing at the tops of the tree, i would
: like to know if its possible to grow them into trees, and how i would
: go about doing so?

: I'd sell it to Kew quickly - it must be unique.

No it isn't.

We used to holiday on the northumberland coast, near lindisfarne.
In a wood close to the cottage, is a section of self seeded monkey
puzzles in various stages of development and thriving well. An earlier
landowner must have planted out the original but now the colony is happily
spreading.

Jim

Old 08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from J Jackson contains these words:

: I'd sell it to Kew quickly - it must be unique.

No it isn't.

We used to holiday on the northumberland coast, near lindisfarne.
In a wood close to the cottage, is a section of self seeded monkey
puzzles in various stages of development and thriving well. An earlier
landowner must have planted out the original but now the colony is happily
spreading.

Whoosh!