Old 08-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:42:24 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "flash" contains these words:

So far I have tapped up the Parish Council and am in the process of
applying
for a lottery grant.

You'd have to produce a pretty revolutionary plan to qualify for a
lottery grant.

Indeed. Nowadays you would have to establish that you were
encouraging a suitable quota of ethnic minorities etc. to join your
allotment society or give good reasons for their absence. You would
also have to account for any lack of disabled people and the sexually
diverse.
My local Council, in its application form for an allotment, requires,
among other intrusive and unnecessary questions, to know the
applicant's ethnic origins and what the applicant intends to grow on
the allotment. Possibly unconnected, or perhaps not, there are
several allotment sites around the town completely unused and badly
overgrown.

My name is Osama bin Compost and I come from Saud^H^H^H^Palestine.

I intend growing castor oil plants for the seeds.

Do you have any starter industrial units to let?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

and what the applicant intends to grow on
the allotment.

Could be relevant .... suppose I intended to use my allotment to carry
out breeding experiments on thistles? ;-)

Or experiments with fibres for making rope...

Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Jupiter

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:49:42 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Kay contains these words:

and what the applicant intends to grow on
the allotment.

Could be relevant .... suppose I intended to use my allotment to carry
out breeding experiments on thistles? ;-)

Or experiments with fibres for making rope...

Perhaps even more politically incorrect, without the danger of
illegality as might occur with the growing of rope fibre, would be the
growing of tobacco plants.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

and what the applicant intends to grow on
the allotment.

Could be relevant .... suppose I intended to use my allotment to carry
out breeding experiments on thistles? ;-)

Or experiments with fibres for making rope...

Perhaps even more politically incorrect, without the danger of
illegality as might occur with the growing of rope fibre, would be the
growing of tobacco plants.

And to stir the CAP police into action, say it's for making insecticide...

Old 09-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Kay

In article , David david@chap
elhouse.demon.co.uk writes
In article , flash
writes

Hi,

Due to a failure not to take one step backwards when everyone else did, I am
now treasurer of a newly founded allotment society.

The allotment site could do with some investment and I am looking around for
any organisations I could obtain a grant from - in conjunction with the
societies own fund raising activities.

So far I have tapped up the Parish Council and am in the process of applying
for a lottery grant.

Anyone else got any ideas or experiences?

TIA.

Try your local county councillor for some of their "locality budget"
this is money they have available to distribute at their discretion

In our area this is called MICE money :-)

(We used to have RAT money too but that seems to be no longer available)
--
Kay

Old 09-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Kay

In article , Jupiter
writes
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 06:40:20 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Jupiter
writes

My local Council, in its application form for an allotment, requires,
among other intrusive

and unnecessary questions, to know the
applicant's ethnic origins

Usually not compulsory to answer this. It's there to guard against
unintentional discrimination. How do you know you are not discriminating
if you don't know the applicant's ethnic group?

I never answer that kind of question on principle. None of their
business and also facilitiates illegal positive discrimination and
discrimination against white people.

I suppose you can take the view that it facilitates illegal
discrimination either way. It is hard to discriminate directly unless
you have *some* way (however inaccurate) of inferring ethnic group (or
whatever is your chosen basis for discrimination). But if you as an
organisation are genuinely trying to avoid discrimination, then indirect
discrimination is the problem, not direct discrimination, and the only
way in which you can see whether your policies have led to
discrimination is to look at the ethnic (or gender or disability or age)
groupings of the people who have benefited.

But, as you rightly say, no-one has a right to that information, so all
you as an organisation can do is hope people will trust you enough to
give you that information voluntarily.

Could be relevant .... suppose I intended to use my allotment to carry
out breeding experiments on thistles? ;-)

Wouldn't be any worse than the Council's own current experiments in
breeding elderberry, brambles, nettles, couch grass, etc. on the
derelict allotment sites.

True :-)

--
Kay

prizes and funds for natural history research Vr.R.Bejsak-Colloredo-Mansfeld Plant Science 0 25-01-2004 10:35 PM
[IBC] club funds Alan Walker Bonsai 17 24-09-2003 12:16 PM
club funds Peter K. Bonsai 3 24-09-2003 12:35 AM
USFS fire suppression funds gone! Larry Harrell alt.forestry 3 10-08-2003 07:22 PM
And You though the Forest Service Was Short of funds! Aozotorp alt.forestry 13 02-04-2003 11:20 PM