Old 08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
RichardS

Default what is this - rosebay willow herb?

The recent thread on rosebay willow herb reminded me about the exact
question I was going to ask.

A plant came up amongst a bed of perenniels that we bought from Hampton
Court last year.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what we bought, and it did come up
only in one spot and looked vaguely like something that we might have got,
but I don't think that we would have planted it in that position if it was
going to be quite that tall (the fence behind is about 4'6" tall with 1'
trellis on top)!

http://domino-177.billbuchan.com/Oli...ks/RSAN-62VKNR

If it is most likely RBWH then I want to get rid now, rather than waiting
for flowers (it's showing no signs of flowering yet) - there's other stuff
I'd like to establish there.

many thanks

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 08-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "RichardS" contains these words:

If it is most likely RBWH then I want to get rid now, rather than waiting
for flowers (it's showing no signs of flowering yet) - there's other stuff
I'd like to establish there.

Certainly looks like RBWH. They are quite pretty, and can make a good
addition to the garden as long as the tops are removed befor the seeds
ripen and get blown everywhere - *HOWEVER* they propagate with
underground runners as well, so unless you can contain it, it's far
better zapped.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Bob Hobden

"RichardS" wrote...

The recent thread on rosebay willow herb reminded me about the exact
question I was going to ask.

A plant came up amongst a bed of perenniels that we bought from Hampton
Court last year.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what we bought, and it did come up
only in one spot and looked vaguely like something that we might have got,
but I don't think that we would have planted it in that position if it was
going to be quite that tall (the fence behind is about 4'6" tall with 1'
trellis on top)!

http://domino-177.billbuchan.com/Oli...ks/RSAN-62VKNR

If it is most likely RBWH then I want to get rid now, rather than waiting
for flowers (it's showing no signs of flowering yet) - there's other stuff
I'd like to establish there.

Looks like it to me, we get the Great Willow-herb amongst the bog plants
around our pond, it's real pain, you cannot get them out without a complete
repot etc.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Klara

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Certainly looks like RBWH. They are quite pretty, and can make a good
addition to the garden as long as the tops are removed befor the seeds
ripen and get blown everywhere - *HOWEVER* they propagate with
underground runners as well, so unless you can contain it, it's far
better zapped.

But elephant hawkmoths love them and they are so beautiful!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 09-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Kay

In article , RichardS
writes

The recent thread on rosebay willow herb reminded me about the exact
question I was going to ask.

A plant came up amongst a bed of perenniels that we bought from Hampton
Court last year.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what we bought, and it did come up
only in one spot and looked vaguely like something that we might have got,
but I don't think that we would have planted it in that position if it was
going to be quite that tall (the fence behind is about 4'6" tall with 1'
trellis on top)!

http://domino-177.billbuchan.com/Oli...ks/RSAN-62VKNR

If it is most likely RBWH then I want to get rid now, rather than waiting
for flowers (it's showing no signs of flowering yet) - there's other stuff
I'd like to establish there.

many thanks

It doesn't look like Rosebay willowherb - the leaves don't look smooth
and shiny. It's also a bit tall - mine is only about 18 inches at the
moment - conversely, if you're much earlier than me and it is that tall,
then I'd expect to see the characteristic flower buds. And rosebay isn't
as branched as that at that stage of growth.

It could possibly be the big soft leaved willowherb with big pink
flowers whose name I forget.

Or it could be something else entirely.

Since you don't want it there anyway, whatever it is, you could try
transplanting it (though not the best time of year) then you could see
its flower and also have the chance to plant something else in its
current position.

--
Kay

Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Jill Tardivel

Kay wrote:
In article , RichardS
writes

[...]

Greater Willowherb?

I came across a beautiful white flowered plant in a border last year.
Puzzled me for a while then I realised it was a white rose bay willlow
herb. Looked fantastic.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

It doesn't look like Rosebay willowherb - the leaves don't look smooth
and shiny. It's also a bit tall - mine is only about 18 inches at the
moment - conversely, if you're much earlier than me and it is that tall,
then I'd expect to see the characteristic flower buds. And rosebay isn't
as branched as that at that stage of growth.

It could possibly be the big soft leaved willowherb with big pink
flowers whose name I forget.

Great willowherb?

Old 09-06-2005, 11:45 AM
RichardS

"RichardS" wrote in message

The recent thread on rosebay willow herb reminded me about the exact
question I was going to ask.

A plant came up amongst a bed of perenniels that we bought from Hampton
Court last year.

Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what we bought, and it did come up
only in one spot and looked vaguely like something that we might have got,
but I don't think that we would have planted it in that position if it was
going to be quite that tall (the fence behind is about 4'6" tall with 1'
trellis on top)!

http://domino-177.billbuchan.com/Oli...ks/RSAN-62VKNR

If it is most likely RBWH then I want to get rid now, rather than waiting
for flowers (it's showing no signs of flowering yet) - there's other stuff
I'd like to establish there.

many thanks

Thanks to all for replies - seem to confirm my suspicion that it isn't
something that we have purposely planted (I'm terribly distracted these days
and tend to forget such things!).

It's going to come up. I may transplant it to the end of the garden, as it
is quite pretty by all accounts and a good plant to give a bit of height at
that end, and it seems it might have wildlife benefits. I know it's not the
ideal time of year, but if it's worthy of the moniker "weed" then it shoudl
surely survive :-) I'll then just have to keep an eye on it and jump on
it's offspring rather sharply if they come up in other places.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "RichardS" contains these words:

I'll then just have to keep an eye on it and jump on
it's offspring rather sharply if they come up in other places.

If you let it seed, they will, and in your neighbours' gardens. The
seeds have fluffy whiskers and are windborne even unto a mile.