Old 28-02-2003, 12:05 PM
td

Default Black Walnut tree fruits wanted

Hi urg!

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.
I am willing to collect & pay for them.
I live in the Bolton area.

I do not know when the fruits are ready to harvest, probably after summer.

I would be most grateful for any offers or advice.

Thanks in advance.

--
regards

trev sing

Old 01-03-2003, 12:23 AM
M. Tiefert

In article , "td" wrote:
Hi urg!

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.
I am willing to collect & pay for them.
I live in the Bolton area.

I do not know when the fruits are ready to harvest, probably after summer.

Yes, they are ready in the autumn. When the squirrels go after them,
they're ready.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
Old 01-03-2003, 01:47 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:05:33 -0000, "td"
wrote:

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.
I am willing to collect & pay for them.
I live in the Bolton area.

I do not know when the fruits are ready to harvest, probably after summer.

I would be most grateful for any offers or advice.

If you want to eat them: the juices in the fleshy surround to the
nuts (pericarp?) will stain your skin brown.

If you want to grow them: Juglans nigra is notorious for
preventing other plants from growing under its canopy and within
reach of its roots. They seem to poison the soil.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 01-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Martin Brown

wrote:

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.

If you want to eat them: the juices in the fleshy surround to the
nuts (pericarp?) will stain your skin brown.

Though you can wait for Autumn until they drop to the ground and wear gloves to
collect them.
Squirrels are a major problem if you want to eat more than a small fraction of
the crop.

You also end up with small walnut trees everywhere planted for you by the
forgetful squirrels.

If you want to grow them: Juglans nigra is notorious for
preventing other plants from growing under its canopy and within
reach of its roots. They seem to poison the soil.

I know that in theory they do, but some plants will grow underneath ours quite
happily.

Even lawn and narcissi will grow within a few feet of the trunk. I suspect in
drier conditions the toxins it produces and the dryness underneath the canopy of
big leaves makes more of a difference to competition but in the UK or Belgium
with copious rain it seems to be less of a problem.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 01-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Alan Holmes

"td" wrote in message
Hi urg!

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.

What is a black walnut?

Alan

Old 01-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

Rodger Whitlock wrote:

If you want to grow them: Juglans nigra is notorious for
preventing other plants from growing under its canopy and within
reach of its roots. They seem to poison the soil.

I know that in theory they do, but some plants will grow underneath
ours quite
happily.

Even lawn and narcissi will grow within a few feet of the trunk. I
suspect in
drier conditions the toxins it produces and the dryness underneath the
canopy of
big leaves makes more of a difference to competition but in the UK or
Belgium
with copious rain it seems to be less of a problem.

Regards,
Martin Brown

I agree. I have Cyclamen, Anemones, Erythroniums and other woodsy plants
growing under ours and right up to the trunk. I'd read that Juglans
poisons the soil but wondered whether it was Juglans regia that is
particularly bad.

Janet G
Old 02-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes see sig for reply address wrote:

"td" wrote in message
Hi urg!

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.

What is a black walnut?

Juglans nigra, native of the eastern USA and grown as an ornamental
in the UK since the 17th century. Fairly common in arboretums and
the older (large) gardens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 02-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Dwayne

They are very good used in baking. They have a different flavor from a more
common walnut. Very hard to get the meat out of the shells.

The nuts fall off the tree when they are ready to harvest.
You can pick them up from under a mature tree and fill buckets with them.
The outer shells are hard to get off. Some lay them in a low place in a
dirt road and drive over them several times to get the "husks" off. Others
will break them off with their hands (staining their skin). I picked up
three buckets full, and husked one of them by hand when they were green and
starting to rot off (too wet in the bucket). The others turned black and
got harder. Sometimes if they stay wet too long and the weather is warm, a
bunch of maggots will get started in them and help you get the nuts out of
the husks. I like the driving over them idea better.

Once the husks are off, it is best to let them dry out and then put them
into a cardboard box and bring them inside to dry inside the nut. This will
take a couple of months. This will allow the nut meat to shrink, and make
it easier to get out of the shell. During the entire operation, you must
protect them from squirrels. They can smell them several meters away.

To open the shell, hold the nut with the pointed end down and hit it with a
hammer. Otherwise get something that will allow you to apply pressure and
squeeze them until they break open. I have bought nutcrackers that use a
handle driven piston method to do this, but the best one I have seen was a
home made one that works the same way, only bigger and applies more pressure
on the nut with less pressure on the handle. The pistons are adjustable to
the size of the nut you are opening.

And now you know why not many people mess with black walnuts. Personally I
pick them up to feed the squirrels. A squirrel will cut off the husk in
about 1 minute, and have eaten in another minute. Some times they will bury
them and forget where. Then you have a black walnut tree coming up. Black
walnut wood is very valuable in furniture making, and if you owned several
hundred trees, you could sell them and retire.

My aunt has several recipes for using them in baking. I would be happy to
call her and get some from her for you if you want, but mostly they are used
in cakes, cookies, or sprinkled on the frosting in top of a cake.

Have fun. Dwayne

Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

Rodger Whitlock wrote:

[...]

Apologies. I've just realised that I've got the two types the wrong way
round. Ours is common walnut which is Juglans regia and as Roger says it
is Juglans nigra which prevents other plants from growing near it.

Janet G
Old 02-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:

Apologies. I've just realised that I've got the two types the wrong way
round. Ours is common walnut which is Juglans regia and as Roger says it
is Juglans nigra which prevents other plants from growing near it.

The effect is supposed to be real, but often overstated. It affects
some plants a lot and others not at all. So what else is new?

My mother had one, and lots of things grew under it, but I cannot say
what would have died if it had been planted there.

Old 02-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 19:54:47 GMT, Janet Galpin and Oliver
Patterson wrote:

...I'd read that Juglans
poisons the soil but wondered whether it was Juglans regia that is
particularly bad.

I've always understood that it is the black walnut, Juglans
nigra, that engages in chemical warfare. The so-called "English"
walnut, J. regia, does not have this reputation afaik.

But I reserve the right to be utterly and spectacularly wrong on
this point!

Old 13-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by td View Post
Hi urg!

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am looking to obtain the fruits of a Black walnut tree.
I am willing to collect & pay for them.
I live in the Bolton area.

I do not know when the fruits are ready to harvest, probably after summer.

I would be most grateful for any offers or advice.

Thanks in advance.

--
regards

trev sing
I don't know where you are, but I live in Central Illinois. I have at least 10 trees and have piled up at least 30 5 gallon buckets of them for the taking. If anyone wants then, respond.
Old 13-10-2011, 11:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Ordinary walnut, the one you used to have, Juglans nigra. (nigra= black)
Old 13-10-2011, 11:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Ordinary walnut, the one you used to have, Juglans nigra. (nigra= black)
Or have I got them the wrong way around?