Old 08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Default Killing Ivy

Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my back garden with ivy growing over a fence, and the ivy is now starting to strangle some of my plants. I've been trying to cut back the ivy every year but it's and endless task and it's starting to win the battle. I've tried Round-Up but all that did was kill the parts I could spray - not the whole plant. Spraying the entire ivy isn't possible because it's growing too close to my other plants.

The ivy 'lives' next door (which is why I haven't just cut it down) so I'm looking for ways to kill off the ivy without trespassing !! Please help !
Old 09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Mike Lyle

Pioden wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my back garden with ivy growing over a fence,

and
the ivy is now starting to strangle some of my plants. I've been
trying to cut back the ivy every year but it's and endless task and
it's starting to win the battle. I've tried Round-Up but all that

did
was kill the parts I could spray - not the whole plant. Spraying

the
entire ivy isn't possible because it's growing too close to my

other
plants.

The ivy 'lives' next door (which is why I haven't just cut it down)

so
I'm looking for ways to kill off the ivy without trespassing !!

Please
help !

There's not much hope for a permanent cure. The best you can legally
do is rip or chop off any bits which come across to your side. I'd
guess a brutal treatment twice (once isn't enough) a year would save
your plants, though. Cut surfaces can be painted with a brushwood
killer called SBK: but you don't want any of that on your skin, or
dripping on your plants. Vicious stuff.

I'm surprised it's actually damaging your plants, though: I'm trying
to visualise what's happening. Are you on the southern side, so the
ivy's always trying to get to you, and wrapping itself onto shrubs or
something?

--
Mike.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Brian Watson

"Pioden" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my back garden with ivy growing over a fence, and
the ivy is now starting to strangle some of my plants.

The ivy 'lives' next door (which is why I haven't just cut it down) so
I'm looking for ways to kill off the ivy without trespassing !! Please
help !

One word: dynamite.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing more to say

Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
p.k.

Pioden wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my back garden with ivy growing over a fence, and
the ivy is now starting to strangle some of my plants. I've been
trying to cut back the ivy every year but it's and endless task and
it's starting to win the battle. I've tried Round-Up but all that did
was kill the parts I could spray - not the whole plant. Spraying the
entire ivy isn't possible because it's growing too close to my other
plants.

The ivy 'lives' next door (which is why I haven't just cut it down) so
I'm looking for ways to kill off the ivy without trespassing !! Please
help !

I have exactly the same problem. I hacked back to the fence line and down to
fence height with a powered hedge trimmer a couple of years ago. Now I spray
anything that appears with a strong glyphosate (roundup or similar) when the
leaves a still soft and light green. The ivy on the neighbours side does not
even blink but my side is more or less clear.

What I haven't tried ( we do not get on all the well as it is, why stoke the
fire?) is the old bind weed trick of coiling up and bruising long lengths of
ivy and tying in a plastic bag dosed with glyphosate. The idea being that
until the coiled stuff dies it sits there taking poison back to the main
plant and roots.

pk

Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:30:40 +0000, Pioden
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my back garden with ivy growing over a fence, and
the ivy is now starting to strangle some of my plants. I've been trying
to cut back the ivy every year but it's and endless task and it's
starting to win the battle. I've tried Round-Up but all that did was
kill the parts I could spray - not the whole plant. Spraying the entire
ivy isn't possible because it's growing too close to my other plants.

The ivy 'lives' next door (which is why I haven't just cut it down) so
I'm looking for ways to kill off the ivy without trespassing !! Please
help !

Try Root-Out, or anything containing ammonium sulphamate. There is a
spray now sold in many garden centres and sheds specifically for ivy,
but I'm pretty sure it's just an expensive version of ammonium
sulphamate. Note, ammonium sulphamate is not the same as ammonium
sulphate. The latter will do the ivy nothing but good, which is not
what you want.

--
Chris

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Killing Ivy Colin Gardening 26 11-02-2011 04:34 PM
killing off IVY Tangy Australia 12 05-11-2008 12:32 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM