Old 28-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Norman Sandland

Default Rotavators: any good experiences?

Every Spring I get a brochure for the Mantis Rotavator together with all of
its bits and pieces - quite unsolicited (I must have ticked a box on
something years ago). It normally goes in the bin straight away. This year,
I thought I would enquire if anyone has ever tried one of these beasts or
any other rotavator. I have always been a spade and fork man - grow all my
own veg., have an allotment and about a quarter acre garden. Now that I am
coming up to 63 I thought I might explore further if rotavators are worth
their storage space let alone their costs.

The Mantis is light at 20lbs. Whilst it lightness is an advantage from the
point of view of carrying it, how is it heavy enough to dig in to produce a
ten inch tilth. It also rotates at a high speed - twice as high as other
rotavators. I have always thought that these things chop the perennial weeds
up so that you multiply the number of weeds that regrow!

Anyone with advice on this and other rotavators would be welcome to express
a view.

Regards Norman

Old 28-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Norman wrote in message
Every Spring I get a brochure for the Mantis Rotavator together with all

of
its bits and pieces - quite unsolicited (I must have ticked a box on
something years ago). It normally goes in the bin straight away. This

year,
I thought I would enquire if anyone has ever tried one of these beasts or
any other rotavator. I have always been a spade and fork man - grow all my
own veg., have an allotment and about a quarter acre garden. Now that I

am
coming up to 63 I thought I might explore further if rotavators are worth
their storage space let alone their costs.

Got two allotments (and since I was 35, arthritis of the lower spine) so
long hard digging has been a problem for many years especially as we garden
on Thames clay/silt. I couldn't garden so much land without one.
We bought a Honda F210 Rotovator years ago and it has been an excellent
investment, now on our second set of tines as the first lot almost wore away
due to the constant use.
Perennial weeds can be a problem; we have Mares Tails but a spade/fork
wouldn't get them out anyway, Couch can simply be dug out by hand or pulled
out of the soft earth when it shows, Buttercups likewise have to be dug out
by hand before rotovating as they come up from whatever depth, but on the
whole no worse a problem than hand digging and a lot quicker. Leaves a nice
tilth too compared to the huge lumps hand digging produces (on our clay).
I've heard it said that they cause panning but it isn't a problem because
you break through any (if it actually happens?) when you dig your spuds,
parsnips etc on a rotational basis.
It also means you can hand dig just a bit each year if the mood takes you
but still garden on the whole.
However, whilst much quicker, it is hard work and will certainly give your
upper arm and shoulders a good workout.
Try hiring one a few times before you take the plunge, it takes some
practice to master them, and they aren't cheap.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 28-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Mike Gilmore

Norman,
Don't expect miracles. But, if you use it as 'soil stirrer' rather than an
out-and-out fork replacement you will be as delighted with your future
purchase as I have been.
Regards,
Mike Gilmore
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk

Old 28-02-2003, 07:50 PM
ned

Norman Sandland wrote:
Now that I am coming up
to 63 I thought I might explore further if rotavators are worth
their storage space let alone their costs.

The Mantis is light at 20lbs. Whilst it lightness is an advantage
from the point of view of carrying it, how is it heavy enough to
dig in to produce a ten inch tilth. It also rotates at a high speed
- twice as high as other rotavators.

When it comes to advertising, bear in mind that the advertiser will
emphasise the good points.
I suspect that there is a subtle play on words between 'rotovating'
(previously cultivated tilth) and 'cultivating' (virgin ground).
If you have reasonably good soil which just needs breaking up prior to
sowing / planting then, sure, a rotavator will whiz through the task.
If you have virgin or heavy soil that a farmer would use a plough on,
then forget the cultivator and stick to the old fashioned spade.
You may gather that I'm not a cultivator fanatic. I did own one (past
tense) and now I own three spades and two forks of various sizes. I am
amazed that Mantis are claiming a ten inch tilth capability - I
presume they mean depth and not width(?). It might manage that on very
light soils but a light machine will require some hefty down force
(supplied by your arms and shoulders) to stop the tines running away
over the surface.
I would ask them for a demonstration before you buy - and not on a
sandy beach. ;-).

--
ned (coming up 69)

Old 28-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Derek Turner

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:00:39 -0000, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Got two allotments (and since I was 35, arthritis of the lower spine) so
long hard digging has been a problem for many years especially as we garden
on Thames clay/silt. I couldn't garden so much land without one.

err.. you could if you went no-dig organic vbg
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Old 28-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Derek wrote in message

Got two allotments (and since I was 35, arthritis of the lower spine) so
long hard digging has been a problem for many years especially as we

garden
on Thames clay/silt. I couldn't garden so much land without one.

err.. you could if you went no-dig organic vbg
--

Sorry Derek, I live in the real world!

I would love to grow organically but wouldn't grow much successfully down
here. You couldn't grow Leeks...Leek Moth; nor any Brassicas...Flea Beetle
(can't grow from seed outside even with chemicals); no outside
Tomatoes...Blight; Pea and Bean Weevil is another pest that has recently
found our plots.
Unlike others I am not prepared to lose a whole years crop or give up ever
growing a crop just because I won't use a chemical.

Then there's our Thames silt/clay soil which pans down to a hard solid bed
after the winter rains and all the animals have danced on it***(it's why I
dig in the spring), then the sun comes out, it dries, and if it's not dug
and broken up it cracks open through the roots. I just can't see non-dig
working on this soil, a nice friable sandy loam, yes, but not this stuff.

*** I dug and raked a bed last week and two days later you would not believe
it, there was not a pins point between the footprints of cats and foxes etc.
some nice deep holes too.

Old 28-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Al Rhodes

I work an allotment with heavy clay, and find that they are no substitute
for winter digging,as
they don't go deep enough.But they are invaluable in spring , in order to
break up the ground
to get ready for sowing and planting.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Graham Wells

"Al Rhodes" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Norman,
For what it is worth,points against the Mantis is that it works on two
stroke,so you have oil to put in,also it is used by walking backwards
with the machine following,it means you never tread on the tilth but
easy to fall over and bring the machine on top of you.
Points for - two of my allotment buddies have them and not heard any
complaints except sometimes hard to start.
I own and use quite often the small Honda FG 100 which is cheaper than
the mantis and works on normal unleaded petrol and has served me well.
Regards
Graham
Old 01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Jim Allan

The Mantis is light at 20lbs. Whilst it lightness is an advantage from the
point of view of carrying it, how is it heavy enough to dig in to produce a
ten inch tilth. It also rotates at a high speed - twice as high as other
rotavators. I have always thought that these things chop the perennial weeds
up so that you multiply the number of weeds that regrow!

Anyone with advice on this and other rotavators would be welcome to express
a view.

Norman,

I've had a Mantis for 6 years and use it mainly to cultivate my 16 yds x
10 yds veg plot. It's no use for breaking-in new ground, e.g. from a
lawn, however it is ideal for rotovating ground which was cultivated the
previous year. I use it to incorporate farmyard manure or compost
previously spread on the surface. It does dig in and produce a ten inch
tilth however ground conditions must be right to achieve this, i.e.
fairly dry. I've also found it useful when preparing large planting
holes for trees and shrubs.

I also have the hedgetrimmer and lawn scarifier attachments. I have
given up using the former as it proved to be too heavy and unbalanced
for my arthritic hands and back, although it did the job most
efficiently. The scarifier works well, although you have to get used to
the usual way of operating a Mantis by pulling it backwards.

Starting the machine was sometimes a problem until I learned the secret
- from cold, press the primer bulb at least 20 times then use full choke
and full throttle. Since then mine has never failed to start first or
second pull.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
--
Jim
Old 04-03-2003, 01:56 PM
David

"Norman Sandland" wrote in message t...
[...]

I use an old rotovator with wheels which drives itself (3 speed).
Much easier than wrestling with it.
It is even easier to use if I have the wheels at their widest setting.
Different blades for different jobs. Straight ones for cutting turf or
first go on hard ground. L shaped ones for weeds/grass so they chop it
rather than tangling. Straight blades, hookshaped for deep digging and
achieving fine tilth in clean soil.
I'm always amazed by people who say "dig over by hand and remove all
the perenial weed roots". Yeah right. Unless you are digging an area
the size of a postage stamp, you never get them all. At least I don't.
But I find that perenial weeds that regrow in rotovated soil are easy
to pull out whole during normal weeding. I still use a fork of course
and I'd not launch into a patch of couch grass without a bit of
clearing up first.
Unless you are gardening on a sandy beach, it takes a decent machine
to produce a ten inch tilth, not a two stroke mosquito - particularly
as the time of year when you are trying to get your soil ready is
often in spring before it is at its easiest to dig/rotovate. I try to
give the empty parts of the plot a workover in autumn before it gets
too wet, then midwinter if it freezes. In spring I keep an eye out for
those rare spells of enough dry weather to dry the surface of the
soil. Stay off if its wet.
I fing that the occasional session with the rotovator saves me
literally hours of digging.
Unfortunately because you need to go when the conditions are right,
hiring is too hit and miss. Good way to try out a machine but no good
as a way to run a veg plot. By the time you've got yourself organised,
picked the thing up, paid the man a significant percentage of the cost
of a new machine (!), it rains. Then its hard to not use it and you
end up with a mess. Never happens if you have your own, coz you only
go onto the soil when conditions are right (well maybe once, inspired
by the arrival of spring, enthusiam overpowers judgement and you get
out there when its too wet, and 15 minutes later wish you hadn't! Mind
you we all do that with a fork occasionally too !)
The other advantage of your own machine is that you get a much better
soil from rotovating a little but often. Go over the plot, let the top
dry off, and go over it later in the day or a few days later if you
need to let weeds die off.
Those are my thoughts anyway.