Old 08-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Niall Smyth

Default budget mowers with briggs engines

Hi all

would it be foolish of me to assume that
a mower with a Briggs & Stratton Engine
will be a good mower

There are several well priced mowers available
with B& S engines

In my local diy there are, Flymo/Electrolux, Soverign
and McCulloughs in argos.

They all have steel decks, decent collect boxes
and a suitable cutting width for my needs
with B&S classic 35s or selfdrive 40s

My garden is small enough but i've a pain with electric mowers
so i would like a petrol.
I am not going to fork out for a harry or a honda
(excess to my requirements and pocket!)

any thoughts, any preferable brand of the above

regards

Old 08-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:16:03 +0100, Niall Smyth wrote:

would it be foolish of me to assume that a mower with a Briggs &
Stratton Engine will be a good mower

The engine will be of the good side of average IMHO. Parts are easily
available and you can get an engine manual from their website. Spares
for the rest of the mower might be more problematical...

any thoughts, any preferable brand of the above

Probably all made in the same factory in Italy by Castel something or
other. If your looking in the DIY sheds look at the rating plate
rather than any badges. Personally I'd avoid Flymo/Electrolux. I've
got a self propelled Soverign does the job.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Henry

Flymo/Electrolux/McCulloch are all brands of the Electrolux group.

We got a McCulloch cheap in an end of season sale from Argos a couple of
years ago and it's been fine, it has another engine brand, can't remember
which - Italian and not supposed to be as good as B&S but starts first time
every time.

I expect the plastic deck will fail due to vibration before the engine dies,
and it does vibrate fairly well when damp grass gets clogged around the
blades. So that would be my recommendation on a cheap mower, get a metal
decked one if you can.

Henry

Old 09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
nambucca

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
Hi all

would it be foolish of me to assume that
a mower with a Briggs & Stratton Engine
will be a good mower

There are several well priced mowers available
with B& S engines

In my local diy there are, Flymo/Electrolux, Soverign
and McCulloughs in argos.

They all have steel decks, decent collect boxes
and a suitable cutting width for my needs
with B&S classic 35s or selfdrive 40s

My garden is small enough but i've a pain with electric mowers
so i would like a petrol.
I am not going to fork out for a harry or a honda
(excess to my requirements and pocket!)

any thoughts, any preferable brand of the above

regards

I have exactly one of the cheap ones with a B and S motor in bought from
Focus Do it All many years back when my original Mountfield of 25 yrs bit
the dust

I have no problems and no complaints with the cheapie and i have 1/2 acre to
cut

Old 09-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Bob Hobden

"Henry" wrote

Tecumseh ? http://www.tecumsehuk.co.uk/ Big wharehouse in Staines.

I expect the plastic deck will fail due to vibration before the engine
dies, and it does vibrate fairly well when damp grass gets clogged around
the blades. So that would be my recommendation on a cheap mower, get a
metal decked one if you can.

They still clog no matter what the deck is made of if you cut damp grass.

Don't ever be tempted to unclog a mower that is still doing, you will loose
a finger if not a hand, and steel toecap boots are also a very good idea
especially if you cut rough ground.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

Hi all

would it be foolish of me to assume that
a mower with a Briggs & Stratton Engine
will be a good mower

There are several well priced mowers available
with B& S engines

In my local diy there are, Flymo/Electrolux, Soverign
and McCulloughs in argos.

They all have steel decks, decent collect boxes
and a suitable cutting width for my needs
with B&S classic 35s or selfdrive 40s

My garden is small enough but i've a pain with electric mowers
so i would like a petrol.
I am not going to fork out for a harry or a honda
(excess to my requirements and pocket!)

any thoughts, any preferable brand of the above

I have a Champion made by Frigidaire (is this now the same as
Electrolux? They are/were both fridge makers) with a B&S Quattro
engine. Bought cheap from Focus/DoItAll about 5 yrs ago in their
end-of-season sale. Has a metal deck, and had no problems with it in
spite of minimum maintenance, although I do clean the grass paste from
the underside after each mowing. IMO it's this paste that holds the
damp and rusts out the deck if it's not scraped of.

--
Chris

Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Henry

I have a Champion made by Frigidaire (is this now the same as
Electrolux?

Yep apparently http://www.frigidaire-intl.com/history.asp

Seems there's bugger all real choice when it comes to cheapo mowers :-)

Henry

Lawn Mowers & Engines ACER Lawns 0 10-02-2009 03:14 AM
More on Briggs and Stratton engines Muddymike United Kingdom 3 11-03-2008 06:31 AM
Briggs and Stratton engines dont last!! [email protected] Lawns 4 03-06-2007 05:58 PM
anyone interested in buying a couple of briggs engines? GARAGE OWL Lawns 0 03-12-2004 02:28 AM
Briggs & Stratton Replacement Engines vs rebuilding existing engine Scott Lawns 6 04-06-2003 03:56 AM