GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rosa Banksii Lutea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95587-rosa-banksii-lutea.html)

Darling Buds 09-06-2005 12:43 AM

Rosa Banksii Lutea

We bought this rose 2 years ago and its doing extremely well indeed. Well
the leaves that is, it doesn't seem to want to flower at all.
its a climbing rose with masses of small double yellow flowers in May but in
the last 2 years it hasn't flowered at all.

Does anyone have any ideas why?
Many thanks
Steve

Kay 09-06-2005 07:01 AM

In article , Darling Buds darlingbudsofm
writes
We bought this rose 2 years ago and its doing extremely well indeed. Well
the leaves that is, it doesn't seem to want to flower at all.
its a climbing rose with masses of small double yellow flowers in May but in
the last 2 years it hasn't flowered at all.

Climbing roses (and other climbers) are designed to scramble up through
other vegetation till they can see the light, and then flower. One way
they recognise they've got there is when the stems are no longer
supported and start arching downwards - this triggers side growths and
flower buds. So it may be your rose is still on its way up.

It won't flower on the initial upward long shoots - the flowers are on
the side shoots that come off this in the second year.

Alternatively - are you fertilising it? It may be feeding too well and
putting out lots of leaf growth, and not feeling the desperate urge to
reproduce before it's too late.
--
Kay

Sacha 09-06-2005 09:50 AM

On 9/6/05 0:43, in article , "Darling Buds"
wrote:

We bought this rose 2 years ago and its doing extremely well indeed. Well
the leaves that is, it doesn't seem to want to flower at all.
its a climbing rose with masses of small double yellow flowers in May but in
the last 2 years it hasn't flowered at all.

Does anyone have any ideas why?
Many thanks
Steve

If you've done any pruning to it, it won't. It flowers on old wood and is
one of the roses that has to be left alone to flower. We have one on the
house wall that is never touched until we can't open the window and then we
cut as few branches out as possible! This year, as always, it has flowered
its socks off and the white variety has surpassed itself and is absolutely
smothered in flowers. It's making me nervous in case this is a final flush
before keeling over. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Charlie Pridham 10-06-2005 07:52 AM

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

This is a very large rose and takes a number of years to settle and flower
(although often bought in flower!) but the main reason for lack of flowers
is that the flower buds like wisteria are very frost tender and the
slightest whiff of frost and they start dropping. often what happens is that
as the plant becomes larger it provides itself with its own shelter and the
lower parts flower well while the upper parts continue to get caught. The
strong growth is totally hardy so many people never suspect that frost is
the culprit.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Darling Buds 11-06-2005 12:39 AM

"Darling Buds" wrote in message
We bought this rose 2 years ago and its doing extremely well indeed. Well
the leaves that is, it doesn't seem to want to flower at all.
its a climbing rose with masses of small double yellow flowers in May but
in the last 2 years it hasn't flowered at all.

Does anyone have any ideas why?
Many thanks
Steve

Many thanks for the replies

Sacha 11-06-2005 10:04 AM

On 11/6/05 0:39, in article , "Darling Buds"
wrote:

"Darling Buds" wrote in message
We bought this rose 2 years ago and its doing extremely well indeed. Well
the leaves that is, it doesn't seem to want to flower at all.
its a climbing rose with masses of small double yellow flowers in May but
in the last 2 years it hasn't flowered at all.

Does anyone have any ideas why?
Many thanks
Steve

Many thanks for the replies

Hope you'll let us know how it gets on. Which particular 'fault' do you
think your rose has or has suffered from? Pruning, over-feeding, too much
water, or just being a sulky adolescent? ;-) It might help others in the
future to know what your own experience is.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Darling Buds 12-06-2005 12:28 AM

. uk...
wrote:

[...]

Hi
Well it hasn't been pruned at all. Nor over fed, its quite well drained
where is on the slope so I can only guess it hasn't reached its peak yet.
Although its been growing nearly 2 years now, I suppose its got a lot of
fence to cover. Also it may have some frost problems as we are quite open at
the back just looking over fields. We live on the side of the Quantocks in
Somerset so fairly open. We have just noticed some blackspot and leaves that
look like they are dying off and also some rust on it so its under TLC at
the moment.
Will keep you posted, many thanks again for all the invaluable help.