Old 01-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Jack

Default Salix Caprea Kilmarnock

For the third year running, my salix caprea kilmarnock has no pussies on it.
Does anyone know why not?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2003, 09:42 PM
ned

Jack wrote:
For the third year running, my salix caprea kilmarnock has no
pussies on it. Does anyone know why not?

Depends on where you are but I would have thought that its early
enough to be expecting catkins. Mine is still bare.

--
ned

Old 02-03-2003, 10:34 AM
AWM

"Jack" wrote in message
For the third year running, my salix caprea kilmarnock has no pussies on

it.
Does anyone know why not?

Thanks.

We have catkins in central scotland just a couple of dozen so far.

Kilmarnock willows are very prone to rust type fungus which is harboured in
the central crown it isn't really poosible to get rid of it but you can
control it by spraying. I always spray regularly and prune back any damaged
diseased or over long branches. in autumm

Old 02-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Jack

Would the rust fungus affect the production of the "pussies"? Last year,
the willow was plagued with rust and mildew, and spraying didn't have much
effect. I've decided that if the tree doesn't give pussies this year then
I'm chucking it out because it's more trouble than it's worth (and not
particularly attractive when covered in rust and mildew).

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2003, 07:33 PM
AWM

"Jack" wrote in message
Would the rust fungus affect the production of the "pussies"? Last year,
the willow was plagued with rust and mildew, and spraying didn't have much
effect. I've decided that if the tree doesn't give pussies this year then
I'm chucking it out because it's more trouble than it's worth (and not
particularly attractive when covered in rust and mildew).

Thanks.

It reduces the strength of the tree, if it is fighting rust year on year
eventually it just has no reserves left. The other thing that tends to cause
problems are trailling branches that actually touch the ground, they tend to
rot and provide a breeding ground for all sorts plant diseases. Any
kilmarnock willow at best has a a limited life span

Old 02-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Mike

In article , Jack
writes
Would the rust fungus affect the production of the "pussies"? Last year,
the willow was plagued with rust and mildew, and spraying didn't have much
effect. I've decided that if the tree doesn't give pussies this year then
I'm chucking it out because it's more trouble than it's worth (and not
particularly attractive when covered in rust and mildew).

Thanks.

We have had 2 of them, one in the front garden and one in the back, but
got rid of both of them due to their instability the damn things kept on
falling over even when staked with a scaffold pole. Very attractive, "I
think not" ;-)

Chap down the road who has one has 'falling over' problem.

Mike

http://www.collingwoodassoc.org.uk/ Reunion. Chatham May 30th - June 2nd

Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.