Old 01-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Pat & Pete

Default growing mushrooms in the greenhouse

H E L P Has anyone grown mushrooms in a greenhouse? I purchased some
seeds today and dont know what to do with them.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Cerumen

"Pat & Pete" wrote in message
H E L P Has anyone grown mushrooms in a greenhouse? I purchased some
seeds today and dont know what to do with them.

I have with great success, the secret seems to be getting the compost
right. I found organic wheat straw that I used as poultry bedding and
composted then treated with (?gypsum, I'm not sure now?) to bring down the
acidity worked fine when laced with spores and used in tomato plant
trenches in the greenhouse. I could pick fresh tomatoes and mushrooms at
the same time. The tomatoes depleted the richness of the compost and then
the mushrooms just sprang up like..eeeerrr... mushrooms.
Email me if you have more questions.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 02-03-2003, 06:16 PM
jo

Hello...I've never tried it in a greenhouse, but I've just bought a mushroom
kit from Homebase for £5 which includes everything including the polystyrene
box in which you grow them. You can place it anywhere indoors. Although my
mushrooms aren't ready yet, the 'mould' is doing very nicely at the moment.
As an added bonus, my 3-year old can keep an eye on it and be involved
without having to go outside!
Good luck with your seeds....and sorry I haven't got any useful advice for
you.
Jo

Old 02-03-2003, 08:39 PM

Hello...I've never tried it in a greenhouse, but I've just bought a
mushroom
kit from Homebase for £5 which includes everything

I tried these a couple of times. I got a few mushrooms to grow, but not a
great success. So, I tried again and this time I emptied the contents of the
pack into my elec propagator. Got a great crop!

I've now seen mushroom plugs for sale which are hammered into fresh-cut logs
and then put out in a shady area in the garden and kept moist. I thought it
would go well in my damp fern patch. Supposedly, the thing keeps producing
mushrooms for years. You can buy the plugs, or the complete log pre-filled
with plugs. Anyone tried these?

Best,

- h

Old 09-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Paul England

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Pat & Pete" wrote in message
H E L P Has anyone grown mushrooms in a greenhouse? I purchased some
seeds today and dont know what to do with them.

I have with great success, the secret seems to be getting the compost
right. I found organic wheat straw that I used as poultry bedding and
composted then treated with (?gypsum, I'm not sure now?) to bring down the
acidity worked fine when laced with spores and used in tomato plant
trenches in the greenhouse. I could pick fresh tomatoes and mushrooms at
the same time. The tomatoes depleted the richness of the compost and then
the mushrooms just sprang up like..eeeerrr... mushrooms.
Email me if you have more questions.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork
Ireland

Mushrooms in greenhouses, this is all new to me, I always thought they were
primarily the homes for toms and Qcumber etc. I believed they prefered a
damp, darkish patch, like an outhouse or shed ? I have ordered some
mushroom compost and some spoors/kit, I will examine the instructions within
trest.

Regards ........ Paul

Growing mushrooms DBB Gardening 2 13-06-2005 05:53 PM
Mushrooms growing in grass Linda Gardening 4 04-05-2005 01:17 PM
Growing Oyster mushrooms Claire Petersky Edible Gardening 49 18-10-2004 09:38 PM
Growing Oyster mushrooms Claire Petersky Edible Gardening 0 20-09-2004 02:50 PM
Magic mushroom growing mushrooms martin United Kingdom 13 30-11-2003 08:10 PM