Old 10-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Steve Harris

Default Tomato fertilisation?

I know that most tomatoes are in practice self-fertile with
fertilisation taking place before the flower opens?

So, how do I get my Black Russian and Yellow Perfection to interbreed?
Purely in the interests of science!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 10-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered User

Hello,
Transfer pollen by hand using a small fine bristle artists paint brush.
Have you thought about covering you plants with a lightweight fleece to exclude any insects so that your cross is exactly what you want it to be.
Best of luck, the cross should be O.K. let me know how you get on. Just a thought, do you know how to gather seed and keep it until sowing time.
Best wishes,
Gerald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris

Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Brian

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I know that most tomatoes are in practice self-fertile with
fertilisation taking place before the flower opens?

So, how do I get my Black Russian and Yellow Perfection to interbreed?
Purely in the interests of science!

Steve Harris -

______________________
Select one flower from the plant from which you wish to take seeds.
The flower should be just showing colour. With fine scissors remove the
potential petals and all of its stamens without damaging the stigma.
Cover the neutered flower with muslin. At intervals brush the stigma with
a ripe stamen from the other variety until you see fertilisation has taken
place~~ the ovary will start to swell. The seeds from the developed tomato
will be a cross between the two varieties and will probably have a multitude
of variations.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
doug

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

[...]

**********
Forgive me for altering the topic but I am now on my own and time is getting
short for me to plant this year's tomatoes. I am retired. Greenhouse is 8
by 10 feet, raised beds, filled every three years (mixed by cement-mixer)
with fresh soil, peat, some sand, (not too much, - it quickly "thins" the
mixture). A soupcon each, of base fertiliser, also Phostrogen.
To come to the point. Through the years I've grown about 2 each of the four
popular varieties, Shirley, Golden Delicious, Ailsa Craig, Money-maker, and
there's a variety in the local supplier just at the moment called Totem.
It may be my age but for some time I have been dissatisfied with them. They
have lost their sweetness. There was a discussion about it any news. views
or comments on this Newsgroup last year and all agreed that such was the
case and the cause was the Supermarkets' influence on the problem.
It was said that some seedsmen are seeking to develop again the older plants
of yesteryear, I would be interested to read anyone's thoughts, news,
opinions or .
remarks on this subject.
Thank you.
Happy gardening to all!.
Doug

Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "doug" contains these words:

[...]

I`ve gone for a whole load of yesteryear varieties for growing at home
with dear old gardeners delight going down the lottie. Time will tell
but going to be interesting. All plants came from Baytree in Spalding
apart from the gardeners delight, dear old Nan Nortons strain.