Old 11-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered User

Default Composting Potato Leaves

I read somewhere recently that you should not compost potato leaves. Can anyone explain why?

Axel
Old 11-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered User

Hello.
It is a precaution against the spread of disease, in particular Potato Blight.

Best wishes,
Gerald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelbrora

Old 11-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
GardenGerald wrote:
axelbrora Wrote:

I read somewhere recently that you should not compost potato leaves.
Can anyone explain why?

It is a precaution against the spread of disease, in particular Potato
Blight.

Please don't top-post.

It is also based on a complete misunderstanding of how blight is
spread, and so is complete nonsense. Before the life-cycle of blight
was known, it was a sensible precaution, but few of us are old enough
to remember then.

Blight overwinters in LIVE plant material - tubers you miss when
harvesting and some weeds - and is spread by the wind in suitable
weather conditions. It is therefore a good idea to eliminate all
potato plants that arise from forgotten tubers, and to watch out
for the relevant conditions (high temperatures and humidity), but
a complete waste of time to worry about what you can compost and
what you can't.

And, because it is spread by wind, you can't avoid it, so spraying
palliatively with Bordeaux mixture is a good idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Padger

It is also based on a complete misunderstanding of how blight is spread,

and so is complete nonsense. Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Also I would add that any compost heap worthy of the name will have killed
off any disease spores and/or weed seeds. So much rubbish gets talked about
what you can and cannot compost. It is too much for a dissertation here but
there are web sites around which gives good guidance on the subject.
Jim

Old 12-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Padger wrote:

Also I would add that any compost heap worthy of the name will have killed
off any disease spores and/or weed seeds. So much rubbish gets talked about
what you can and cannot compost. It is too much for a dissertation here but
there are web sites around which gives good guidance on the subject.

That is a bit simplistic. There are some soil-borne diseases with
resistant spores, and a fair number of weeds with resistant seeds,
but I agree that it is not generally a problem.

However, you should not compost weeds such as nettles, goosefoot,
grasses with ripe seeds, or you may have trouble. But it really is
only the ripe seeds that are a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Padger wrote:

Also I would add that any compost heap worthy of the name will have killed
off any disease spores and/or weed seeds. So much rubbish gets talked about
what you can and cannot compost. It is too much for a dissertation here but
there are web sites around which gives good guidance on the subject.

That is a bit simplistic. There are some soil-borne diseases with
resistant spores, and a fair number of weeds with resistant seeds,
but I agree that it is not generally a problem.

However, you should not compost weeds such as nettles, goosefoot,
grasses with ripe seeds, or you may have trouble. But it really is
only the ripe seeds that are a problem.

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

My seed problems are Geum (not rivale, the other one), Herb Robert,
dandelion, broad leaved willowherb and Jack by the Hedge. And of course
forget-me-not and aquilegia ;-)

--
Kay

Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

Yes. I have thought of growing it deliberately, because it is really
quite a good spinach-like plant and doesn't have the difficulties of
spinach. I keep meaning to try its seeds, and see what they taste
like. But it does like light soils and dryish conditions.

My seed problems are Geum (not rivale, the other one), Herb Robert,
dandelion, broad leaved willowherb and Jack by the Hedge. And of course
forget-me-not and aquilegia ;-)

Of those, only dandelion is a significant weed for me, though some
of the others do grow in the vicinity. Mallow is a pain, not because
it seeds wildly, but because it is so hard to get out without damaging
nearby plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

Yes. I have thought of growing it deliberately, because it is really
quite a good spinach-like plant and doesn't have the difficulties of
spinach. I keep meaning to try its seeds, and see what they taste
like. But it does like light soils and dryish conditions.

I collect it (and fat hen) in the fields round here, by the carrier-bag.
I've still got some in the freezer from last year. And the soil round
here is far from light or sandy...

Interesting. Do you know the Latin names of those plants? As I
understand it, goosefoot = fat hen = Chenopodium album, but I can
easily believe that there are variations in usage.

It does like a rich soil, and will delight in an old muck-heap.

True. Or a compost heap :-)

The whole of the tops go in the pot, seeds and all, but they do need to
be young and tender: the mature seeds are not what I would call
scrumptious.

I may still try anyway, but thanks for the information :-)

I don't know why it has never been domesticated. It is a neolithic
food plant and, as we agree, is in no way inferior to spinach as a
food crop. Most pseudo-spinaches are very coarse, but it isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 PM
David Rance

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

Yes. I have thought of growing it deliberately, because it is really
quite a good spinach-like plant and doesn't have the difficulties of
spinach. I keep meaning to try its seeds, and see what they taste
like. But it does like light soils and dryish conditions.

I collect it (and fat hen) in the fields round here, by the carrier-bag.
I've still got some in the freezer from last year. And the soil round
here is far from light or sandy...

Interesting. Do you know the Latin names of those plants? As I
understand it, goosefoot = fat hen = Chenopodium album, but I can
easily believe that there are variations in usage.

This is what I found by doing a search:

Fat Hen (Chenopodium album)
aka Bacon Weed, Dirty Dick, Dung Weed, Goose Foot, Lamb's Quarters
(USA), Muck Hill, Pig Weed.

My allotment grows it better than anything else!

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

Yes. I have thought of growing it deliberately, because it is really
quite a good spinach-like plant and doesn't have the difficulties of
spinach. I keep meaning to try its seeds, and see what they taste
like. But it does like light soils and dryish conditions.

I collect it (and fat hen) in the fields round here, by the carrier-bag.
I've still got some in the freezer from last year. And the soil round
here is far from light or sandy...

Interesting. Do you know the Latin names of those plants? As I
understand it, goosefoot = fat hen = Chenopodium album, but I can
easily believe that there are variations in usage.

Yup, there's Good King Henry, Chenopodiun bonus-henricus; Good King
Henry; Chenopodium ficifolium, fig-leaved goose-foot; Chenopodium album,
fat hen; Atriplex patula, common orache; and lots of others - are all in
the goose-foot family, most of which are very good to eat. There is one
large one, either Chenopodium murale (sowbane, or nettle-leaved
goose-foot) or C. rubrum, red goose-foot, or possibly both, which grab
you by the throat and attack it a bit like arum lily leaves do.

It does like a rich soil, and will delight in an old muck-heap.

True. Or a compost heap :-)

The whole of the tops go in the pot, seeds and all, but they do need to
be young and tender: the mature seeds are not what I would call
scrumptious.

I may still try anyway, but thanks for the information :-)

I don't know why it has never been domesticated.

It was, until around Victorian times according to one of the natural
food authors, maybe Maybey, or possibly Michael Jordan.

It is a neolithic
food plant and, as we agree, is in no way inferior to spinach as a
food crop. Most pseudo-spinaches are very coarse, but it isn't.

The Tollund Man had seeds of goose-foot (amongst a lot of others) in his
stomach.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Richard Parker

#include

http://www.bobcatswilderkitchen.com/...ta/lambqtr.htm
--
Richard Parker

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs and insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

/fat hen/

My allotment grows it better than anything else!

Harvest it, then. I prefer it to spinach: it has sort-of asparagussy
undertones.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay wrote:

I had do a double-think when you said 'goosefoot' - it's just not a
problem here. Just shows the difference in our soils.

Yes. I have thought of growing it deliberately, because it is really
quite a good spinach-like plant and doesn't have the difficulties of
spinach. I keep meaning to try its seeds, and see what they taste
like. But it does like light soils and dryish conditions.

My seed problems are Geum (not rivale, the other one), Herb Robert,
dandelion, broad leaved willowherb and Jack by the Hedge. And of course
forget-me-not and aquilegia ;-)

Of those, only dandelion is a significant weed for me, though some
of the others do grow in the vicinity. Mallow is a pain, not because
it seeds wildly, but because it is so hard to get out without damaging
nearby plants.

I grew some musk mallow once, and not have these everywhere. Nice lacy
foliage and masses long lasting white or pink flowers -very attractive,
but they do get everywhere, and have long tap roots. The wild mallow
isn't a problem here. Much more of a problem is Alchemilla mollis, which
seeds everywhere and is very difficult to uproot.
--
Kay

Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

I'd put the taste of fat hen as between spinach and asparagus, with the
tendency towards the spinach end of the spectrum.

It's much more substantial than spinach and not such an acidic taste -
doesn't make your teeth feel quite so scoured.
--
Kay