Old 11-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Moo

Default Please identify this weed, or is it a shrub ?

Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat...MQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

Moo.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Moo

Moo wrote:
Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat...MQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

Moo.

If you have difficulty with the long url please use
http://tinyurl.com/7mz2j instead

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Moo writes
Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat...52&.src=ph&.to
k=phMQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

Moo.

Hi

I can't say that I recognise it from the photos, but it certainly seems
more shrubby and of a larger scale than weeds usually get - if you don't
replant it it might die and you will never find out of course! One good
way to tell is when the leaves get bigger and/or if it flowers.

Best wishes
Lynda

Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Emrys Davies

"Moo" [email protected] wrote in message
Moo wrote:
Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a

border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat...MQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

Moo.

This is a bit of a long shot because the photo. does not show the
foliage very clearly. Do you have a Kerrier Japonica growing nearby
(Maybe over the fence)
http://tinyurl.com/a5clk as its roots wander quite a distance and it
send up suckers which take very easily.

The more I look at the image the more I think that it is a fuchsia.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Brian

"Moo" [email protected] wrote in message ...
Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat...MQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

Moo.

_________________
Looks very much like suckers from some stone fruit nearby. They are
arising from a near surface root.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 11-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Kay

In article , Moo writes
Moo wrote:
Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat.../3e52&.src=ph&.

tok=phMQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

Moo.

If you have difficulty with the long url please use
http://tinyurl.com/7mz2j instead

I don't recognise it as a UK wild plant.

It may be a 'shrub', by which I assume you mean a non-native plant used
as a garden shrub, but some of those can be quite invasive too. You
don't have to keep something in your garden just because other people
grow it in theirs ;-) - if you don't want it, stand by your guns.

The 'sucker from a stone fruit' theory sounds a good bet.
--
Kay

Old 11-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Moo [email protected] contains these words:

Did some gardening today. I dug up what looked like a weed in a border.
Long horizontal root.

I have uploaded a couple of photos and would be grateful if someone
could tell me what it is.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sat...MQcIDBg92ec1rR

A relative thinks it may be a shrub and wants me to replant it. I'm
resisting until I'm sure its not a weed.

It looks like a sucker from a tree or shrub - have you got a cherry of
any sort nearby?

I'd coil the root into a big pot and see what it grows into: it's not a
weed as such, but it might turn out to be something pernicious - like
poplar...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-06-2005, 11:40 PM
CECI

Just joined this group and have looked at the photos and they are very
like suckers from a cherry or plum tree.. I had problems with these a
couple of years ago and only got rid of them by resorting to a spot
weed killer. Hope this is useful.

Keep growing!

Ceci

Old 13-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Moo wrote:
[...]

It appears to be contagious, this echoing signature disease... ;o)

Old 13-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Moo

CECI wrote:
Just joined this group and have looked at the photos and they are very
like suckers from a cherry or plum tree.. I had problems with these a
couple of years ago and only got rid of them by resorting to a spot
weed killer. Hope this is useful.

Keep growing!

Ceci

Thanks everyone for your response.

I'm now pretty sure that its a cherry tree sucker as I did a google
image search and the resulting "sucker" photo looks similar to the image
I posted.

In case you are interested I have posted an image of where I found the
sucker (see upturned pot near path) and the neighbours tree at bottom
of garden a distance from pot to trunk of about 10-12 feet.

http://tinyurl.com/d3e6w

I have disposed of the "sucker" as there are enough tree and shrub roots
in my garden already.

In the 30 years I have known the tree this is the first time I have
noticed these "suckers" in my garden.

M.

Old 13-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Moo [email protected] contains these words:

In case you are interested I have posted an image of where I found the
sucker (see upturned pot near path) and the neighbours tree at bottom
of garden a distance from pot to trunk of about 10-12 feet.

That's nothing for a cherry sucker.

I have disposed of the "sucker" as there are enough tree and shrub roots
in my garden already.

Good, as it's unlikely to grow into a good fruit-bearing tree. Many/most
cherry trees are grafted on to a stock of a vigour to match the buyer's
requirements.

In the 30 years I have known the tree this is the first time I have
noticed these "suckers" in my garden.

They sometimes appear when/where you have damaged a root.

Old 14-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
I don't recognise it as a UK wild plant.

It may be a 'shrub', by which I assume you mean a non-native plant used
as a garden shrub, but some of those can be quite invasive too. You
don't have to keep something in your garden just because other people
grow it in theirs ;-) - if you don't want it, stand by your guns.

The 'sucker from a stone fruit' theory sounds a good bet.

Why not pot it up and grow it on until you can identify it? If you keep
the root IN the pots it shouldn't cause too much aggro in the garden
border.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy