GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cleaning drive OT? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95744-cleaning-drive-ot.html)

Padger 11-06-2005 10:43 PM

Cleaning drive OT?

Someone told me they got rid of old oil stains on their driveway using fairy
liquid and coca cola.
Am I to believe this and if correct what is the modus operandi?
(As my drive runs through my front garden I think I may be on topic)

Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy 12-06-2005 06:20 AM

"Padger" wrote in message
.. .
Someone told me they got rid of old oil stains on their driveway using
fairy
liquid and coca cola.
Am I to believe this and if correct what is the modus operandi?
(As my drive runs through my front garden I think I may be on topic)

Might work but I suspect not too effective. I always use GUNK engine cleaner
on the oil stains, this will lift the oil out of the drive and form a water
soluble biodegradable liquid which can then be hosed away. Halfrauds or any
motor factors will stock it.

Quiche

Broadback 12-06-2005 02:28 PM

Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy wrote:
"Padger" wrote in message
.. .

Someone told me they got rid of old oil stains on their driveway using
fairy
liquid and coca cola.
Am I to believe this and if correct what is the modus operandi?
(As my drive runs through my front garden I think I may be on topic)

Might work but I suspect not too effective. I always use GUNK engine cleaner
on the oil stains, this will lift the oil out of the drive and form a water
soluble biodegradable liquid which can then be hosed away. Halfrauds or any
motor factors will stock it.

Quiche

It may do, but coke is terribly corrosive, drop a penny in some and see.
I think it may well alter the colour of your paving.

Sla#s 13-06-2005 11:38 AM

"Padger" wrote in message
.. .
Someone told me they got rid of old oil stains on their driveway using
fairy
liquid and coca cola.
Am I to believe this and if correct what is the modus operandi?
(As my drive runs through my front garden I think I may be on topic)

WD40 claims it will lift oil stains from concrete (but not asphalt) and then
you use cat litter, then normal detergent to remove the WD40.

Slatts

David 13-06-2005 08:30 PM

In article , Broadback
writes
Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy wrote:
"Padger" wrote in message
.. .

Someone told me they got rid of old oil stains on their driveway using
fairy
liquid and coca cola.
Am I to believe this and if correct what is the modus operandi?
(As my drive runs through my front garden I think I may be on topic)

Might work but I suspect not too effective. I always use GUNK engine cleaner
on the oil stains, this will lift the oil out of the drive and form a water
soluble biodegradable liquid which can then be hosed away. Halfrauds or any
motor factors will stock it.

Quiche

It may do, but coke is terribly corrosive, drop a penny in some and see.
I think it may well alter the colour of your paving.

Its a very very mild acid, that is all, to suggest that it will damage a
drive is nonsense, the colouring in the coke may stain if its a very
light colour otherwise it won't be noticeable
--
David