Old 02-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Peter

Default Tiny white worms in compost bin

I have just opened the bottom door on my compost bin to find plenty of
regular worms and millions on tiny white threadlike worms. Are these good
bad or indifferent?

The bin is full and the compost at the bottom seems well rotted.

Thanks

Peter

Old 02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Gary Woods

"Peter" wrote:

I have just opened the bottom door on my compost bin to find plenty of
regular worms and millions on tiny white threadlike worms

Indifferent, I think. They often show up in a worm bin.... my plywood
indoor one has some... and don't seem to cause problems. I once actually
bought some of them to culture to feed tropical fish, which love them! In
that world they're called "white worms." You feed them from a little
plastic perforated cone suspended in the water; the idea is that the worms
crawl out a few at a time and are eaten immediately, so not burrowing into
the gravel, drowning, and fouling the water.
Which is more than you really wanted to know. I do that.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Alison

"Peter" wrote in message
I have just opened the bottom door on my compost bin to find plenty of
regular worms and millions on tiny white threadlike worms. Are these good
bad or indifferent?

The bin is full and the compost at the bottom seems well rotted.

Thanks

Peter

I worried about these things for months when I started making compost and
leaf mould. I collected a sample and was informed by a fairly reliable
source that they are 'good guys' and prefer the leaf mould (which I can
vouch for cos there's lots more in the becoming-almost-useable leaf
collecting bin).

--A

Old 02-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Martin B.

and I thought they were just babies

--
Martin B.

"Trevor Rimmer" wrote in message
They are nematode worms - numerous different species. If you dig up any
reasonably fertile soil and *really* look hard at it you will see them.
The ones in the soil are generally good guys, but some are parasitic -
eg on slugs. Humans have their own nematode parasites (but not the ones
that you see in the soil I hasten to add).

TrevR

The message
from "Alison" o.uk
contains these words:

Old 12-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Location: London

I would have thought they were baby brandling worms no?

Seeing as they are in a compost pile the worms would multiply and the results would be small white threadlike worms
Old 12-06-2003, 09:56 PM
bnd777

Definitely tiny baby Brandling worms .......usually theres 2 or 3 batches a
year especially in worm bins

s.com...