Old 13-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Victoria Plum Tree Problem

Hi,

I have inherited a Victoria Plum Tree when I moved into my house. It seems quite an old tree and does have cracks in the bark. But what is strange is that since I moved in over 8 months ago, I have not seen any buds,leaves or any sign of life at all!!!. Is it dead or diseased? I am new to fruit trees so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
SteveF
Old 14-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Alan Gould

In article , SteveF SteveF.1qlg7z@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Hi,

I have inherited a Victoria Plum Tree when I moved into my house. It
seems quite an old tree and does have cracks in the bark. But what is
strange is that since I moved in over 8 months ago, I have not seen any
buds,leaves or any sign of life at all!!!. Is it dead or diseased? I am
new to fruit trees so any help would be appreciated.

If there has been no growth at all this year it would seem that the tree
is dead, but it could be worth waiting until autumn before finally
deciding to dispose of it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 14-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from SteveF contains these words:

I have inherited a Victoria Plum Tree when I moved into my house. It
seems quite an old tree and does have cracks in the bark. But what is
strange is that since I moved in over 8 months ago, I have not seen any
buds,leaves or any sign of life at all!!!. Is it dead or diseased? I am
new to fruit trees so any help would be appreciated.

Dead, deceased, it is an ex-Victoria plum tree.

The wood is marvellous for carving etc. (I'm looking for a good bit of plum).

Bring out the richness of its colours by applying chromic acid or
potassium dichromate solution.

If you decide to take it down, dig round it and chop the roots, then
when you pull it over, the root bole will come out easily. Digging it
out afterwards is much more difficult - you haven't got the leverage of
the tree itself.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/