GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cutting back aquilegia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95869-cutting-back-aquilegia.html)

Paul Giverin 13-06-2005 09:01 PM

Cutting back aquilegia

Would there be any problem cutting back the flowering stems of our many
aquilegia once they have flowered? We have got so many of them and
although they really look fantastic in late spring/early summer, they
make the garden look quite tatty once they have had their day.

I realise that the plant won't have a chance to self seed but we do have
loads of them and I can always leave a few uncut if I ever need more.

TIA,

--
Paul Giverin

keith ;-\) 13-06-2005 09:15 PM

No.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

andrewpreece 14-06-2005 11:39 PM

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message
Would there be any problem cutting back the flowering stems of our many
aquilegia once they have flowered? We have got so many of them and
although they really look fantastic in late spring/early summer, they
make the garden look quite tatty once they have had their day.

I realise that the plant won't have a chance to self seed but we do have
loads of them and I can always leave a few uncut if I ever need more.

TIA,

--
Paul Giverin

I find the leaves go a bit tatty too, and I either snip off the worst old
leaves over
a period of weeks or decapitate the entire plant. You get nice new leaves
coming through after a few weeks, and Aquilegia leaves are fairly decorative
IMO.

Andy.