Old 02-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Gary

Default Cheapest petrol Lawnmower with rear roller?

Hi

Has anyone bought.seen a petrol lawn mower with a rear roller recently?.

All the ones in bandq etc seem to be wheeled ones, i was after one with a
rear roller.

Only ones ive found so far are all over £200. Anyone any ideas?

TIA

Old 06-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Alastair J. Smith

You will be hard pressed to find a roller mower (petrol) for under £200. The
UK is the only market for roller mowers, that is why most of the mowers sold
in the sheds (mass multiples) are 4 wheel, because they are made for the
European and American markets.

If you want a cheap mower it will have to be 4 wheel I'm afraid. But the
mowers sold in the £99 to £199 are of dubious quality, the engine is built
to a very low cost and will give problems starting. The height adjusters
tend to break, as do recoil cord and handles.

Like everything in this world you tend to get what you pay for, if you can,
stretch your budget further, if not, look in the yellow pages under
lawnmowers and visit your local independent to see what he has in the way of
second hand machines.

Alastair

Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Anthony

"Gorgeous George" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:58:44 -0000, "Alastair J. Smith"
wrote:

[...]

If you want to have to change it every year, get a cheap one. If you
want a mower that will take lazy servicng and bad manners, get a
Honda. You know it makes sense.

Just don't ask my father about their IZY machines!
2 have gone back within 18 months, he now has an Hayter.
To the OP, if you don't mind going to a little bit of trouble, try
http://www.bartrammowers.co.uk/partfinder_home.asp
Their parts cover an old Ransomes Laser model (1993) that had a rear roller
for producing stripes maybe you could adapt this part to fit a newer model?
Sorry I can't be any more help.
Anthony

Old 07-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Alastair J. Smith

"Anthony" wrote in message
Just don't ask my father about their IZY machines!
2 have gone back within 18 months, he now has an Hayter.

This is not a fair comparison, IZY is their budget range, they also do a
premium range which is comparable to Hayter. What was the difference in
price between the original cost of the Honda and the Hayter replacement?

Alastair Smith

Old 07-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Ken Saunders

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Hi

Has anyone bought.seen a petrol lawn mower with a rear roller recently?.

All the ones in bandq etc seem to be wheeled ones, i was after one with a
rear roller.

Only ones ive found so far are all over £200. Anyone any ideas?

TIA

Gary...I use a MTD lawnflite 18" professionally cost about £400
but I didn't shop around.Servicing and follow up more important
to me.If it's only a small lawn, you could try 4 wheeler plus
a besom....Ken

Old 08-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Anthony

"Alastair J. Smith" wrote in message

"Anthony" wrote in message
Just don't ask my father about their IZY machines!
2 have gone back within 18 months, he now has an Hayter.

This is not a fair comparison, IZY is their budget range, they also do a
premium range which is comparable to Hayter. What was the difference in
price between the original cost of the Honda and the Hayter replacement?

Alastair Smith

Oh I see, you seemed to recommending all the Honda range, didn't realise
that you were making an exception to the IZY range!

There was about £10 in it, from memory. Went for a rear roller Hayter
instead of 4 wheels, same size though, 16 inch.
I'll check on the models if you are interested.
Anthony

Old 22-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Simon Avery

"Alastair J. Smith" wrote:

Hello Alastair

AJS You will be hard pressed to find a roller mower (petrol) for
AJS under £200. The UK is the only market for roller mowers,
AJS that is why most of the mowers sold in the sheds (mass
AJS multiples) are 4 wheel, because they are made for
AJS the European and American markets.

And rotary. I've got an old Alco (I think) cylinder mower for sale
(about 50 quid) in Devon if anyone's interested.

AJS If you want a cheap mower it will have to be 4 wheel I'm
AJS afraid. But the mowers sold in the £99 to £199 are of
AJS dubious quality, the engine is built to a very low cost and
AJS will give problems starting. The height adjusters tend to
AJS break, as do recoil cord and handles.

Not so sure here. Most of them seem to have Briggs & Stratton engines,
which are pretty good and even manage to start well. Honda engine ones
are even better.

The decks are what usually dies first on cheap mowers. Thin pressed
steel means it rusts out very quickly. Some have plastic decks which
I'm really not sure about...

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 01:36 PM
Old type lawnmower with roller? Fred Williams[_2_] Gardening 1 18-06-2010 04:35 PM
Advice on Best petrol rear roller 21 inch mower gb United Kingdom 0 12-11-2008 08:46 PM
Recommendations on reel mower "accessories" (roller, rear wheels, etc.) Patrick Demets Gardening 4 25-06-2004 12:03 AM
Atco Rear Roller Rotary Mower Douglas Hageman United Kingdom 3 27-03-2003 05:34 PM