Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Keith Pritchard

Default greenhouse for a very windy spot?

We live in extremely exposed coastal position where winds get up to 60+mph
on occasions.

We would like to erect a greenhouse sized approximately 8ft x 10ft!

Most of the bad weather i.e. strong gusting winds, come from the south west.
Fortunately the garden is completely sheltered from that side - but almost
totally open from the east, with a stone wall about four feet high, about
three open paddocks and then a drop down over the cliff! The north and
south sides of the garden have shelter some within about 50ft in each
direction.

Is there any greenhouse on the market designed to withstand high wind (when
the door and vents are all fully closed)? The Robinson Riviera is promoted
as being 'built to promote the toughest weather conditions... and is
apparently 'constructed with significantly more aluminium than most other
greenhouses of a comparable size'. Is this likely to be of any use here...?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Keith

(remove nospam from email address to reply privately)

Old 03-03-2003, 10:52 AM
richard smith

I would contact several manufacturers and get them to recommend a product
suitable for your garden,if they are not prepared to make any
recommendations do not buy!

regards
Richard

Old 03-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Keith Pritchard
writes
We live in extremely exposed coastal position where winds get up to 60+mph
on occasions.

We would like to erect a greenhouse sized approximately 8ft x 10ft!

Can't help with the GH question I'm afraid.

(remove nospam from email address to reply privately)

Not sure if it's what you intended, but there isn't much point in spam
trapping your reply-to address, as it's the From address that spam bots
harvest
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Martin Brown

Keith Pritchard wrote:

We live in extremely exposed coastal position where winds get up to 60+mph on
occasions.

Mine in N.Yorks survived many storms that hit 60+ mph. The one that killed it
was the winter storm of '97 which had gusts touching 100mph in exposed areas
like mine. Even then I reckon it could have been tougened up to stand it's
ground if I had cross braced the corners with heavier gauge aluminium.

We would like to erect a greenhouse sized approximately 8ft x 10ft!

Is there any greenhouse on the market designed to withstand high wind (when
the door and vents are all fully closed)? The Robinson Riviera is promoted
as being 'built to promote the toughest weather conditions... and is
apparently 'constructed with significantly more aluminium than most other
greenhouses of a comparable size'. Is this likely to be of any use here...?

Worth asking them. Also consider glazing with twinwall polycarbonate which will
withstand much more by way of flying debris before it breaks. The typical mode
of failure of a greenhouse in a storm is that something strikes the windward
side and the wind gets in under the roof and lifts. Or it breaks free of its
foundations.

Sinking the greenhouse into the ground is another way of making them more robust
in exposed places.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 03-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Keith Pritchard" contains these words:

[...]

I recommend Robinsons GH's for exposed windy places...we had one that
size in the last garden, which was 18 yrs old, still as good as new, and
had never lost a pane to weather. It withstood gales of 80 mph. on
bleak high exposed moorland just south of the Scottish Highlands. Iirc,
Robinson's used to claim that many of their GH's survived the great
hurricane in England.

We made an outline concrete foundation (with shuttering) the same size
as the base then bolted the GH onto it.

Janet.

Old 03-03-2003, 09:33 PM
jo

Hello Keith,
You aren't an 'aquaintance' of Phillippa who used to work at Save & Prosper
in Romford, are you?
Jo

Old 03-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Keith \(Portland\)

No jo,

but it sounds like an admirable cause!

best wishes,

Keith

Old 03-03-2003, 10:04 PM
jo

Shame, I would like to get in touch with my old pal 'Phil' (who was very
intimate with a Keith Pritchard) but obviously not you!! What's the Portland
bit then? I'm confused. Sorry this is nothing to do with gardening, but I
really thought I'd got a link to my old pal. Not to worry..all the best.
By the way....do you know anything about good plants for very shady areas?

Old 04-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Martin Sykes

"Keith Pritchard" wrote in message
Is there any greenhouse on the market designed to withstand high wind

(when
the door and vents are all fully closed)? The Robinson Riviera is

promoted
as being 'built to promote the toughest weather conditions... and is
apparently 'constructed with significantly more aluminium than most other
greenhouses of a comparable size'. Is this likely to be of any use

here...?

Apparently the ones shaped more like a polytunnel shape, with sloping rather
than vertical sides are more resistant to wind.

MArtin

Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Alison

[...]

Hi Keith

We live in an exposed area too though inland but with no windbreak on the
prevailing SW side (greenhouse site) so wind tolerance was a strong factor
in our decision making process.

Last year we were considering a Robinson's after much research and
contacted, amongst others, a super company called The Incredibly Sensible
Greenhouse Company (bit of a mouthful but does exactly what it says on the
tin!). In the end we went for a 'special' that Bill, the owner, has
modified from an Elite Belmont - known as a Maxi. He took all the best
things about Robinson's (which he highly recommends too) and zooped up the
Belmont to withstand the worst that the weather could throw at it.
Basically you can have more greenhouse for your money but with no compromise
(we feel) on quality other than whisper closing doors and draught excluders
on the roof vents. This compromise gave us loads of extra bracing, 4mm
toughened glass, extra vents, hanging basket rail which doubles as length
bracing and an extruded shelf doubling as end bracing. So far it has
withstood 48mph winds without flinching - its an 8ft x 16ft.

No I don't work for them! I was just very impressed with their prompt
replies and no nonsense advice. They stock lots of makes and models so
they're quite unbiased - it was almost an afterthought that Bill mentioned
the Maxi. You can find them at:
http://www.isgreenhouses.co.uk/index.html

Good luck

--A

Old 04-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:20:06 +0000 (UTC), "Keith Pritchard"
wrote:

[...]

You might think of getting one with sloping sides, rather than
vertical (there's probably a special name for the design, but I don't
know it). I have one exposed to SW gales straight off the Atlantic,
that has stood for years. Any greenhouse needs good foundations
though.

--
Chris