GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I've grown some funny foxgloves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95933-ive-grown-some-funny-foxgloves.html)

[email protected] 14-06-2005 10:27 PM

I've grown some funny foxgloves

I garden in Devon and I have 4 or 5 plants (grown from seed) which have
an unusual shaped flower at the very top of the spike. Instead of a
downward hanging or horizontal bell it is a large upward facing cup.
Anybody seen this before? Any suggestions where else I could check?
Simon

Brian 14-06-2005 11:09 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I garden in Devon and I have 4 or 5 plants (grown from seed) which have
an unusual shaped flower at the very top of the spike. Instead of a
downward hanging or horizontal bell it is a large upward facing cup.
Anybody seen this before? Any suggestions where else I could check?
Simon

_________________
This has been mentioned twice recently. It is caused by a mutation and
can be inherited. Your seed packet probably mentioned that this was likely
if you have more than one specimen. It can happen in the wild but is rare.
Best Wishes Brian.

Kay 16-06-2005 10:35 PM

In article .com,
writes
I garden in Devon and I have 4 or 5 plants (grown from seed) which have
an unusual shaped flower at the very top of the spike. Instead of a
downward hanging or horizontal bell it is a large upward facing cup.
Anybody seen this before? Any suggestions where else I could check?

Do a google groups search - there was something on this in urg a couple
of weeks back, though I think that was a circular rosette of flowers
rather than a single one.

I was reminded of that thread as today I noticed two plants in Rugby
with exactly what you have described - a rather ugly cup shaped flower
about an inch and a half across as the very top flower of the spike.
--
Kay