Old 15-06-2005, 09:23 AM
IanG

Default masking smells

What can I plant in pots around the concrete area the dog uses as a toilet
to mask the smells. I do wash and bleach the area regular but it still
smells a little in the heat.

Cheers, Ian.

Old 15-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "IanG" contains these words:

What can I plant in pots around the concrete area the dog uses as a toilet
to mask the smells. I do wash and bleach the area regular but it still
smells a little in the heat.

How about a nice septic tank? No-one would blame the dog, innit.

I can't think of anything else which could be made to scent the air
heavily and continuously over the warmer months. You could try a mix of
Mahonia (very early), lilac (early), honeysuckle (early - mid), roses
(early - late), sweet peas (mid - late), lavender (most of the year),
thyme (when trodden on), etc.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 15-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Sacha

On 15/6/05 9:23, in article ,
"IanG" wrote:

What can I plant in pots around the concrete area the dog uses as a toilet
to mask the smells. I do wash and bleach the area regular but it still
smells a little in the heat.

Cheers, Ian.

Herbs seem the best bet in terms of being a concreted area and having to use
pots. Don't water them too much! If you grow Salvia turkestanica nobody's
going to worry about the dog pee. ;-) That's a joke, not a
recommendation! It's one of the most foul smelling but beautiful, plants
there is!
If there are any gaps in the paving, can you introduce some low growing
herbs which will smell nice when trodden on? Woodruff was used as a
strewing herb but I don't know if it had to be dried first, or not.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 15-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Herbs seem the best bet in terms of being a concreted area and having to use
pots. Don't water them too much! If you grow Salvia turkestanica nobody's
going to worry about the dog pee. ;-) That's a joke, not a
recommendation! It's one of the most foul smelling but beautiful, plants
there is!
If there are any gaps in the paving, can you introduce some low growing
herbs which will smell nice when trodden on? Woodruff was used as a
strewing herb but I don't know if it had to be dried first, or not.

Come to think of it, fenugreek should mask just about any pong, and the
seeds can be used (ground) in curries, etc.

Old 15-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:23:17 GMT, "IanG"
wrote:

What can I plant in pots around the concrete area the dog uses as a toilet
to mask the smells. I do wash and bleach the area regular but it still
smells a little in the heat.

Cheers, Ian.

You could of course plant the dog! Apologies to all dog-lovers.

Pam in Bristol

Old 15-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Dwayne

You don't say if they are your dogs or the neighborhoods dogs. If they are
yours, mask the smell, if not plant roses or something around the outside
of the area and keep the neighbors dogs out. I have kids using my yard for
a short cut. The roses did the job, and look very nice at the same time.

Dwayne

Old 15-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

What can I plant in pots around the concrete area the dog uses as a toilet
to mask the smells. I do wash and bleach the area regular but it still
smells a little in the heat.

Have you tried a solution of biological washing powder?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 16-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes

Herbs seem the best bet in terms of being a concreted area and having to use
pots. Don't water them too much! If you grow Salvia turkestanica nobody's
going to worry about the dog pee. ;-) That's a joke, not a
recommendation! It's one of the most foul smelling but beautiful, plants
there is!
If there are any gaps in the paving, can you introduce some low growing
herbs which will smell nice when trodden on? Woodruff was used as a
strewing herb but I don't know if it had to be dried first, or not.

I think you're right that it had to be dried. Coumarin is the active
ingredient, IIRC

--
Kay

Old 19-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "IanG" contains these words:

What can I plant in pots around the concrete area the dog uses as a toilet
to mask the smells. I do wash and bleach the area regular but it still
smells a little in the heat.

Armatillox? That is supposed to disinfect kennel areas. Also clove oil
or Jeyes fluid would be strong enough to blank out the smell.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-06-2005, 01:47 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

That's just given me what I hope will turn out to be a brainwave to help the
OP. What about watering the area with a bicarb of soda solution? It is a
known absorbent of bad odours.

So might washing soda Sacha,