Old 15-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Vw Golfer

Default Rose Aphid help required

Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any others?
Thanks

Old 15-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Harold Walker

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any
others? Thanks

Diluted Fairey liquid soap does a good job..H

Old 15-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:28:51 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any
others? Thanks

Diluted Fairey liquid soap does a good job..H

Now is your Fairy Liquid the same as ours Harry?
I sprayed some plants once with diluted Fairy Liquid and they didn't
like it at all. Ours is detergent, not soap.
I have a block of Fairy Household soap, the old-fashioned sort, and
when I need it I grate some and mix it in wam water.
This was because I could no longer get the original Lux Soap Flakes
that a previous generation used.
It needs to be soap and not detergent. You can buy soft soap from
organic suppliers but it is expensive.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Harold Walker

wrote:

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard
of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any
others? Thanks

Diluted Fairey liquid soap does a good job..H

Now is your Fairy Liquid the same as ours Harry?
I sprayed some plants once with diluted Fairy Liquid and they didn't
like it at all. Ours is detergent, not soap.
I have a block of Fairy Household soap, the old-fashioned sort, and
when I need it I grate some and mix it in wam water.
This was because I could no longer get the original Lux Soap Flakes
that a previous generation used.
It needs to be soap and not detergent. You can buy soft soap from
organic suppliers but it is expensive.

Pam in Bristol

Perhaps I may have goofed on this one...I thought the UK Fairey soap was the
same as our liquid ivory soap used for dishwashing....(Fairey soap as suck
not cold in the US of A....H

Old 15-06-2005, 11:30 PM
pammyT

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any

others?
Thanks

yes, leave the blue tits to do the job for you.
FWIW I have never sprayed *anything* on aphids and never found they did any
serious damage to my plants. I do get enormous pleasure from watching tits
especially but also gold finches clinging onto the stems and gobbling up
beaks full of the insects to feed their young with.

Old 15-06-2005, 11:58 PM
nambucca

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any

others?
Thanks

Washing up liquid and water with garlic in it sprayed several times works
pretty well for me
If there is only buds on the roses blasting them with hose spray knocks the
little blighters off

Old 16-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Martin Brown

Vw Golfer wrote:
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any others?
Thanks

Pick them off one by one. Or encourage predators to do it for you.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Alan Holmes

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any
others?

I used washing up liquid on the broad beans last year and it was quite
successful.

Alan

Thanks

Old 18-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Norma

"Vw Golfer" wrote in message
Any ideas how I can rid my rosebush of aphids WITHOUT chemicals? Heard of
garlic, washing up liquid and water- does this work or heard of any
others? Thanks
Greenfly doesn't like onions, so plant some chives between your roses,
you'll have pretty flowers as well. Parsley grown as a companion plant
will also help repel them. I have heard that nettles soaked in rainwater
for two or three weeks and then used as a spray is very effective. Good
luck.

Norma

Old 20-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Registered User

I use excess christmas present soap. the last one was lemongrass and lavender from, i believe, the arran cosmetics company. that and a bit of warm water in a spray bottle and you're away. I tried waiting for the ladybirds but i have a rosa rugosa hedge and it was going black from the tips down. nice.

bob