Old 16-06-2005, 04:44 PM
VX

Default Planning permission objections criteria needed -urgent/OT....

..although since the planned and permission-sought edifice will tower over
my garden it may not be OT at all....

Can anyone point me to a list of the valid/accepted criteria apon which one
may object to planning permission being given for a neighbouring building?

[IOW there are a number of possible criteria one might object on, but a local
authority only has to take certain issues into consideration and I need to
know what they are.]

I need to know this very quickly, I have about a day so time is suddelnly of
the essence. TIA for any help with this.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 16-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Mike

I have had planning permission refused on quite a few developments for
possible flooding problems because the Drains infrastructure is not
sufficient for any more building on 'virgin ground'. i.e. where a building
is going to be erected on ground which has absorbed rain water in the past,
but would, if the building were erected, be diverted to the drains thus
causing more problems. If you can hang this one on the Planning Authority,
put a sting in the tail of the objection in that 'Should the Council ignore
this observation and notice, then this letter will be used as an act of
support for any claim on the Council in the event of flooding of property of
the people listed below"

Copies to and then list the people and properties likely to be affected.

That one has worked quite a few times and made a road be re-aligned because
of storm water run off into and under property.

Another is vehicular access to/from the proposed property on the grounds of
safety. We had a development of flats re-aligned because they were going to
come out onto an already very busy junction.

Something you cannot have planning permission refused on, is the spoiling of
your view, UNLESS some of your windows enjoy 'Ancient Lights' privilege..

No doubt others will be presented.

A few to go on with

Mike

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
s.com...

Old 16-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Susan

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
.although since the planned and permission-sought edifice will tower over
my garden it may not be OT at all....

Yeah, it's amazing that you can't have a conifer hedge higher than 6 feet,
but it's perfectly okay to erect buildings, such as in my case a garage
directly on the fence line at one side, and a 2 storey extension a couple of
feet from the fence on the other side - both objected to but approved
anyway.

Old 16-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Lobster

VX wrote:
.although since the planned and permission-sought edifice will tower over
my garden it may not be OT at all....

Can anyone point me to a list of the valid/accepted criteria apon which one
may object to planning permission being given for a neighbouring building?

[IOW there are a number of possible criteria one might object on, but a local
authority only has to take certain issues into consideration and I need to
know what they are.]

I need to know this very quickly, I have about a day so time is suddelnly of
the essence. TIA for any help with this.

x-posted to uk.d-i-y: somebody over there will know the answer I'm sure

--
David
Old 16-06-2005, 09:39 PM
John K

VX wrote:
.although since the planned and permission-sought edifice will tower over
my garden it may not be OT at all....

Can anyone point me to a list of the valid/accepted criteria apon which one
may object to planning permission being given for a neighbouring building?

[IOW there are a number of possible criteria one might object on, but a local
authority only has to take certain issues into consideration and I need to
know what they are.]

I need to know this very quickly, I have about a day so time is suddelnly of
the essence. TIA for any help with this.

It depends what you mean by "tower over". It may be that your LA might
consider that the neighbouring building is "overbearing", or "out of
character with the neighbouring properties", or something like that.
There would also be consideration of whether it would have windows that
would overlook your garden.

Another thing you might bear in mind is that many applications in your
LA may be dealt with by planning officers under delegated powers,
without going before committee. However, if you object (and persuade
your ward councillor(s) and or parish/town councillors to agree, it
would probably have to go to committee, in which case you might have a
better chance of your objection being upheld.

JK

Old 16-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Mike

.. However, if you object (and persuade
your ward councillor(s) and or parish/town councillors to agree, it
would probably have to go to committee, in which case you might have a
better chance of your objection being upheld.

Be warned. A Local Parish/Town Council objection counts as ONE objection and
has about as much weight and use as a Chocolate Teapot. A few well written
objections from neighbours will carry MUCH much much more weight. I have
come OFF the Local Parish Council and this was one of the reasons. I can
create more stink and possible action as an individual as I could as a
Councillor.

However don't forget, that just because you 'do not like the look of the
thing', it is not grounds for objecting with any hope of it sticking.

Another small point, could you have bought the land and thus stopped the
building? Not as daft as it may seem. A house came up for sale with a wide
side garden, this was the only access to a large piece of land I had. I
bought the house, took off the side garden and then sold the house. Drove a
road through and built houses. Neighbours appealed and took it to London.
Thrown out. 'They could have done the same thing and put a covenant on the
piece of land'

Mike

Old 17-06-2005, 07:27 PM
VX

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:52:03 +0100, Mike wrote
(in message ):

your ward councillor(s) and or parish/town councillors to agree, it
would probably have to go to committee, in which case you might have a
better chance of your objection being upheld.

Be warned. A Local Parish/Town Council objection counts as ONE objection and
has about as much weight and use as a Chocolate Teapot. A few well written
objections from neighbours will carry MUCH much much more weight. I have
come OFF the Local Parish Council and this was one of the reasons. I can
create more stink and possible action as an individual as I could as a
Councillor.

However don't forget, that just because you 'do not like the look of the
thing', it is not grounds for objecting with any hope of it sticking.

Thanks for the replies- its given me a bit more to chew on!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)