Old 16-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Nel

Default Strawberries!

I got some strawberry plants off a work colleague a couple of years ago.
Last summer I only got about a dozen(!) berries so this year I got a big
strawberry pot, planted last years plants and bought more to fill all the
holes. At this point there is hoardes of leaves and quite a few shooters
sprouting out but there were not so many flowers.

Does this mean that, again, there will not be a decent crop or is there
anything I can do now to increase the yield?

TIA

Old 16-06-2005, 07:02 PM
shazzbat

"Nel" wrote in message
eenews.net...
I got some strawberry plants off a work colleague a couple of years ago.
Last summer I only got about a dozen(!) berries so this year I got a big
strawberry pot, planted last years plants and bought more to fill all the
holes. At this point there is hoardes of leaves and quite a few shooters
sprouting out but there were not so many flowers.

Does this mean that, again, there will not be a decent crop or is there
anything I can do now to increase the yield?

I fruit per flower. Maximum. Of course you won't get a fruit from every
flower for various reasons.

It's a bit late to do anything for this year now, and I'm not sure what
you'd do anyway, maybe you've got a variety that doesn't flower profusely.
Ask the colleague you got them from how theirs are doing. Or you may have
left it too late this time and the plants are only just establishing, in
which case next year could well be better. When did you plant them?

Steve

Old 16-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Connor T

I got some strawberry plants off a work colleague a couple of years ago.
Last summer I only got about a dozen(!) berries so this year I got a big
strawberry pot, planted last years plants and bought more to fill all the
holes. At this point there is hoardes of leaves and quite a few shooters
sprouting out but there were not so many flowers.

Does this mean that, again, there will not be a decent crop or is there
anything I can do now to increase the yield?

What have you been feeding them? ( If anything )

If you've been using the wrong feed, or the ground is high in N then this
will encourage leafy growth ( as you describe ) at the expense of flowers...

you could try feeding with a high potash feed ( K ) but it does sound too
late now..

Rgds,
Dan

Old 17-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Nel

"Connor T" wrote in message

I got some strawberry plants off a work colleague a couple of years ago.
Last summer I only got about a dozen(!) berries so this year I got a big
strawberry pot, planted last years plants and bought more to fill all the
holes. At this point there is hoardes of leaves and quite a few shooters
sprouting out but there were not so many flowers.

Does this mean that, again, there will not be a decent crop or is there
anything I can do now to increase the yield?

What have you been feeding them? ( If anything )

If you've been using the wrong feed, or the ground is high in N then this
will encourage leafy growth ( as you describe ) at the expense of
flowers...

you could try feeding with a high potash feed ( K ) but it does sound too
late now..

Haven't been using any feed - my mate said they were growing vigorously in
his garden with just water!

I'll try the potash next year, thanks!

Old 17-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Nel

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
eenews.net...
try giving them some poo, horse poo is usual but any port in a storm

Probably not a good idea - our young son has developed a taste for compost
when unattended......so I don't want to go down any "poo" road thanks!!!

Old 17-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Nel

[...]

I suppose I'll make do with a low yield this year. I think it was around
April when I potted them.

Once they have finished do they just get left or do you cut them back? And
if so, do you cut them 'right' back??

Old 18-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Connor T

I suppose I'll make do with a low yield this year. I think it was around
April when I potted them.

Once they have finished do they just get left or do you cut them back?

And
if so, do you cut them 'right' back??

No need to cut them back, the leaves will die back brown - but that gives
protection from the frost, so i'd leave them till spring and when new growth
has appeared remove the dead leaves..

Old 18-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Tim Tyler

Nel wrote or quoted:

Haven't been using any feed - my mate said they were growing vigorously in
his garden with just water!

That's what mine are doing.

Aside from your other suggestions, maybe you have a dud strain.
Strawberries are pretty cheap - maybe try another variety.
--
__________
Old 18-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:21:30 +0100, "Nel"
wrote:

I got some strawberry plants off a work colleague a couple of years ago.
Last summer I only got about a dozen(!) berries so this year I got a big
strawberry pot, planted last years plants and bought more to fill all the
holes. At this point there is hoardes of leaves and quite a few shooters
sprouting out but there were not so many flowers.

Does this mean that, again, there will not be a decent crop or is there
anything I can do now to increase the yield?

Do you have any ground you can plant them in? My experience with a
strawberry pot, some years ago, was not a success. I think it is more
difficult to keep them moist at all times. In contrast, my pants on
the allotment have done well. I have a very good crop this year;
picked about a pound off dozen plants 2 days ago.

Pam in Bristol

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM