Old 21-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Pam Moore

Has anyone dealt with a good mail order supplier of blueberry plants.
Mine came from Parker's and though I've had some disappointments with
them in the past, I'm very pleased with this one.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:15:01 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

The lady who runs a blueberry nursery said that you must have 2
different varieties. Well, I only have one, and it has a heavy crop of
fruit. No, none of my neighbours grows blueberries. This is the 3rd
year I have had a good crop.

I found the answer to my own question on the RHS site.....
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...berry_care.asp
If I had looked there first we would not have had the info and fun (?)
this thread has generated.
A PS to my question about supliers, does anyone know the name of the
lady on GW last Friday, who exhibited blueberries at the NEC.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 1119342188.e73145e8edf2d6d10d6448ac5a922916@teran ews
from Tim Challenger contains these words:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:03:43 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Are you getting blueberry and black currant mixed up? Blackcurrants
need no pollinator and are setting fruit now, but blueberries are much
later so I'm surprised you have a heavy crop already. My blueberries are
only just flowering.

Be surprised then. They don't all *need* another pollinator. (They may
produce more with one of course) And my two small bushes are laden with
fruit without any other plants in the neighbourhood, still green, but
blueing off nicely.

The first raspberries have been picked, and the first blackcurrants are
ready - still a fair number of unripe ones though. Redcurrants are almost
all red and almost perfectly ripe.

I stopped pulling rhubarb three weeks ago and now have to be careful not
to disturb the heffalumpses and bower constructors when I use the front
gate.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Martin Brown

wrote:

The lady who runs a blueberry nursery said that you must have 2
different varieties. Well, I only have one, and it has a heavy crop of
fruit. No, none of my neighbours grows blueberries. This is the 3rd
year I have had a good crop.

I found the answer to my own question on the RHS site.....
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...berry_care.asp
If I had looked there first we would not have had the info and fun (?)
this thread has generated.

I like their phrase "protecting from birds if necessary".

My experience has been that unless blueberries are netted before they
show the slightest signs of colour the birds will quickly scoff the lot.
Only the redcurrants seem to be immune from birds here.

Incidentally my two year old Jostaberry bush has some fruit this year so
they are also OK to fruit on relatively young plants.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 21-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:34:29 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

[...]

:-)
I was chasing fireflies yesterday evening.
--
Tim C.

Old 21-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Kay

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam
writes

I like their phrase "protecting from birds if necessary".

My experience has been that unless blueberries are netted before they
show the slightest signs of colour the birds will quickly scoff the lot.
Only the redcurrants seem to be immune from birds here.

Whereas in my garden the redcurrants are first to go.
But then I don't grow blueberries. I do however grow loganberries and
tayberries and similar, and it's taken the birds several years to
discover them - even now, they don't take enough to be bothered.

--
Kay

Old 23-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

Whereas in my garden the redcurrants are first to go.
But then I don't grow blueberries. I do however grow loganberries and
tayberries and similar, and it's taken the birds several years to
discover them - even now, they don't take enough to be bothered.

I seem to recall that blueberries hate chalk so I have a suspicion I'd
be wasting my money trying to grow them in my garden. It's a shame
because I love them.

I was looking for another bush fruit to grow besides blackberries,
blackcurrants, raspberries and gooseberries, so would welcome advice.

Are tayberries better than loganberries?
We like quite sharp fruit so it would be nice to grow something similar
to blueberries if possible.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay
writes

Whereas in my garden the redcurrants are first to go.
But then I don't grow blueberries. I do however grow loganberries and
tayberries and similar, and it's taken the birds several years to
discover them - even now, they don't take enough to be bothered.

I seem to recall that blueberries hate chalk so I have a suspicion I'd
be wasting my money trying to grow them in my garden. It's a shame
because I love them.

I was looking for another bush fruit to grow besides blackberries,
blackcurrants, raspberries and gooseberries, so would welcome advice.

Are tayberries better than loganberries?

better in what respect? What is you do not like about loganberries?

Old 23-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:46:23 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I seem to recall that blueberries hate chalk so I have a suspicion I'd
be wasting my money trying to grow them in my garden. It's a shame
because I love them.

Put them in a box or small raised bed filled with rhododendron soil.
--
Tim C.
Old 26-06-2005, 09:36 PM
vsop

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Re the discussion a while ago as to whether blueberries need a
pollinator, did any of you see the item on blueberries on GW tonight,
from GW Live at the NEC?
The lady who runs a blueberry nursery said that you must have 2
different varieties. Well, I only have one, and it has a heavy crop of
fruit. No, none of my neighbours grows blueberries. This is the 3rd
year I have had a good crop.
Any opinions why?

I bought some plants from that stand at GW at the NEC and the son ( the
firms MD, I think) of the lady owner was giving everyone who asked some
cultivation advice.
He was adamant that a pollinator was necessary, ideally of a different
variety. He said he often heard stories of people with single plants having
excellent crops, but somewhere locally within bee-flying range there must be
another plant which provides the pollen. It could be streets away but there
will be one near somewhere usually unbeknown to the owner.

Old 26-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "vsop" contains these words:

I bought some plants from that stand at GW at the NEC and the son ( the
firms MD, I think) of the lady owner was giving everyone who asked some
cultivation advice.
He was adamant that a pollinator was necessary, ideally of a different
variety. He said he often heard stories of people with single plants
having
excellent crops, but somewhere locally within bee-flying range there
must be
another plant which provides the pollen. It could be streets away but there
will be one near somewhere usually unbeknown to the owner.

My bet is that he was wrong to use the word 'all'.

Old 27-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Tim Tyler

Pam Moore wrote or quoted:

Has anyone dealt with a good mail order supplier of blueberry plants.
Mine came from Parker's and though I've had some disappointments with
them in the past, I'm very pleased with this one.

My first two came from:

The Dorset Blueberry Company http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/

Two large-but-expensive plants - one doing very well - the other
currently looking poorly.

This year I got two more - one from Hedging - http://www.hedging.co.uk/
....and one from Wilkinson - http://www.wilko.co.uk/

The "hedging" one is doing fine - and was /extremely/ inexpensive.

The Wilkinson one was also inexpensive - but was rather small and feeble
to begin with - was put out too early by me - and was demolished by my
slug population.

Of these suppliers, Hedging - http://www.hedging.co.uk/ are the ones
that are most likely to get my custom in the future.
--
Old 01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Pam Moore

Picked and ate my first 4 blueberries today!
Loads more to come.

Pam in Bristol