Old 17-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Pam Moore

Default Blueberries again

Re the discussion a while ago as to whether blueberries need a
pollinator, did any of you see the item on blueberries on GW tonight,
from GW Live at the NEC?
The lady who runs a blueberry nursery said that you must have 2
different varieties. Well, I only have one, and it has a heavy crop of
fruit. No, none of my neighbours grows blueberries. This is the 3rd
year I have had a good crop.
Any opinions why?

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Jeff

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Re the discussion a while ago as to whether blueberries need a
pollinator, did any of you see the item on blueberries on GW tonight,
from GW Live at the NEC?
The lady who runs a blueberry nursery said that you must have 2
different varieties. Well, I only have one, and it has a heavy crop of
fruit. No, none of my neighbours grows blueberries. This is the 3rd
year I have had a good crop.
Any opinions why?

Are you getting blueberry and black currant mixed up? Blackcurrants
need no pollinator and are setting fruit now, but blueberries are much
later so I'm surprised you have a heavy crop already. My blueberries are
only just flowering.

Janet

There's at least one blueberry that self-pollinates - that's the reason
I bought mine, unfortunately I can't remember it's name :-(

I've got 2 plants that have cropped heavily for the past 6 years.
They both set fruit this year about 2 weeks ago (and that's in the NE of
England!)
Perhaps you've got the same type as me?

Jeff
Old 18-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Oxymel of Squill

I have only one, called Bluecrop and it had berries this year, until a
branch blew off a tree and smashed it and container. It's recovering now but
still looks a bit miffed

Old 18-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Tim Tyler

Janet Baraclough wrote or quoted:
The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Re the discussion a while ago as to whether blueberries need a
pollinator, did any of you see the item on blueberries on GW tonight,
from GW Live at the NEC?
The lady who runs a blueberry nursery said that you must have 2
different varieties. Well, I only have one, and it has a heavy crop of
fruit. No, none of my neighbours grows blueberries. This is the 3rd
year I have had a good crop.
Any opinions why?

Are you getting blueberry and black currant mixed up? Blackcurrants
need no pollinator and are setting fruit now, but blueberries are much
later so I'm surprised you have a heavy crop already. My blueberries are
only just flowering.

I'm in the same city as Pam - and my blueberries lost their flowers
about a month ago now - and now have many large unripe fruit on them.
--
__________

Old 18-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:03:43 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Are you getting blueberry and black currant mixed up? Blackcurrants
need no pollinator and are setting fruit now, but blueberries are much
later so I'm surprised you have a heavy crop already. My blueberries are
only just flowering.

NO Janet. I do know my black currants from my blueberry!

Janet

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:08:49 GMT, Jeff wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Could be. Mine MIGHT be Top Hat, but it might not! The fruit is just
beginning to show a hint of coulour. It is loaded with fruit.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Brian Watson

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Janet Baraclough wrote or quoted:

Are you getting blueberry and black currant mixed up? Blackcurrants
need no pollinator and are setting fruit now, but blueberries are much
later so I'm surprised you have a heavy crop already. My blueberries are
only just flowering.

I'm in the same city as Pam - and my blueberries lost their flowers
about a month ago now - and now have many large unripe fruit on them.

I have small as-yet unripe fruit on mine (Cambridgeshire).

V pleased with them for the first year of growing them.

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 20-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered User

I have bought some this year which are allegedly self-pollinating - Gold traube (sp?). No idea where they originate from. First berries swelling up just now, despite the plants looking like not much more than stickes when they arrived.

Bob
Old 20-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Jeff

Well that's you told Steve ;-)

Jeff

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Not at all. ISTR, we've had people on urg confuse blackberries and
blaeberries, blackcurrants and bilberries in the past. To the
uninitiated they are all small dark juicy fruit starting with B.

It's very common for people to completely misunderstand what someone
else said (as you have demonstrated twice) , misidentify plants, or
simply call them by the wrong name. Or sometimes, on urg, they think
one word and type another. I've done that myself. Whenever someone here
does that, and one notices or suspects it, it's just polite and friendly
to check it out, as I did.

I don't have any trouble distinguishing blackcurrants and blueberries,
either plant or fruit. Neither does Pam.

It is however highly likely that some reading this group, could not
visually recognise and identify either blueberry or blackcurrant bushes
or fruit. Just as there are people who aren't familiar with the
difference between marrow and pumpkin, french and runner bean, etc.

I hope that is clear enough for you to understand now.

Janet.

Old 21-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:39:31 +0000, undergroundbob wrote:

I have bought some this year which are allegedly self-pollinating - Gold
traube (sp?). No idea where they originate from. First berries swelling
up just now, despite the plants looking like not much more than stickes
when they arrived.

Bob

Sounds like a german variety to me.
I've got only 2 Bluecrop plants and last year (the first year) they
produced maybe a handful each. This year they've got about 10 times as
many.

--
Tim C.
Old 21-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:03:43 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Are you getting blueberry and black currant mixed up? Blackcurrants
need no pollinator and are setting fruit now, but blueberries are much
later so I'm surprised you have a heavy crop already. My blueberries are
only just flowering.

Be surprised then. They don't all *need* another pollinator. (They may
produce more with one of course) And my two small bushes are laden with
fruit without any other plants in the neighbourhood, still green, but
blueing off nicely.

The first raspberries have been picked, and the first blackcurrants are
ready - still a fair number of unripe ones though. Redcurrants are almost
all red and almost perfectly ripe.

--
Tim C.