Old 18-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default Propagating Patty's Plum poppy

My Patty's Plum poppy has flowered well, (unfortunately in the pot that
I inadvertently left on top of the rockery as I forgot what was in it!)

Whilst three flowers are of the usual dusky pink, one has unfurled with
the most wonderful deep burgundy coloured petals.

How can I propagate this, indeed can I?

Mostly I take root cuttings but am not sure why one part of the plant
should have developed this way, so I am unsure what portion of the roots
will control that colour.

Does Patty's Plum normally have a varied colouring to the flowers?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
My Patty's Plum poppy has flowered well, (unfortunately in the pot that
I inadvertently left on top of the rockery as I forgot what was in it!)

Whilst three flowers are of the usual dusky pink, one has unfurled with
the most wonderful deep burgundy coloured petals.

How can I propagate this, indeed can I?

Mostly I take root cuttings but am not sure why one part of the plant
should have developed this way, so I am unsure what portion of the
roots will control that colour.

Does Patty's Plum normally have a varied colouring to the flowers?

Janet

Possibly a sport, but developmental anomalies does occur, especially
among the first few flowers. If it's a sport you could try sowing seed
collected from the anomalous flower, but there's no guarantee that it
would come true. I doubt that root cuttings would be any help to you -
the mutant phenotype probably doesn't extend into the root system. The
question is whether you can vegetatively propagate from green material
of this plant - tissue culture would probably do the trick, but you'd
have to convince someone with the kit that your plant is worth the
effort. The other method of propagation commonly mentioned for Oriental
Poppies is division, but this probably doesn't help either - the plant
will probably die back below the base of the sport. You can watch the
distribution of flower colour on the plant, and see if there's any
evidence of the sport extending into the stock, in which case division
would be possible.

I suggest that you collect seed - it's probably worth a try - and once
you've got some seed look into other means of propagation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Pam Moore

I'm just jumping in with another Patty's Plum question here.
I bought a small plant at the Malvern Show this year. It's been on my
wish-list for some years.
It is looking OK but not very big. Is it too late, and the plant not
developed enough for it to flower this year?
If so, any advice on treatment to prepare for a good show of flowers
next year? Is it pretty tough or does it need coddling?

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:52:05 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Ours get no coddling at all but if your plant is very small (what size is
the pot?) it might be an idea to keep it in a cool greenhouse until next
year, while it beefs up a bit.

It is planted in the garden!

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Interesting. I've noticed considerable variation in colour of PP's
displayed at shows (and for sale).

Janet.

I've asked several friends and they've said the same. Either the plant
does have variation or there are an awful lot of poppies masquerading as
Patty's Plum
Old 18-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

Maybe we've got boring soil, or something. It seems to remain true to form
each year and I think we've had it three or four years in the garden. Now
I'm going to have trot out there in this sweltering heat and have a look to
see what ours are doing. Moan, groan, whinge..... ;-)

Oh dear. I've just come in from mowing the lawn at 9.25pm as it was far
too hot to go out much before 7pm.
I can see the poppy from the lounge so it's easier for me
Unfortunately it's rooted through the pot into the rockery so I'll have
to wait until it stops flowering to try and dig it up.

Janet

Old 18-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

No, no variations in ours. It's precisely this colour every year:
http://tinyurl.com/d85vb

If it's still in flower tomorrow I'll take a photo of the colour.
Old 18-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Sweltering heat?? Wotsat? It's grey and humid here, I'm wearing a
fleece sweater.(Moan groan whinge)
I've seen it in your shade, and both darker and lighter. I wonder if
people have been propagating it from seed? Have just remembered I meant
to post about puprle plant book but will start a new thread.

Janet.

You lucky thing, I am not a lover of this much heat, it's too hot to do
anything too strenuous in the garden and yet I can see loads of jobs to
do.