Old 04-03-2003, 09:45 AM
PRIORPARK17

Default Walking Onions

Does anybody know a source for Egyptian Onions aka Walking Onions?

Old 04-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Alan Gould

In article , PRIORPARK17
writes
Does anybody know a source for Egyptian Onions aka Walking Onions?

That is Allium cepa var. proliferum - also described as Tree onion,
Upstairs onion etc. etc. Ray Warner of Thos. Etty Esquire, Heritage
Seedsman & Bulb merchant had them in stock quite recently.
Ask for catalogue at:

or Tel: 020 8466 6785
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:01 AM
david

How many are you after?

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 05-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Drakanthus

Does anybody know a source for Egyptian Onions aka Walking Onions?

Strange name for an onion? I imagine planting them out one day, and the next
day finding them at the other end of the garden ;-)

Drakanthus.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Sue

"Drakanthus" wrote
Does anybody know a source for Egyptian Onions aka Walking Onions?

Strange name for an onion? I imagine planting them out one day, and the
next day finding them at the other end of the garden ;-)

Well I never knew that song 'Walk Like an Egyptian' was about onions!
You learn something every day.

Sue

Old 06-03-2003, 02:42 PM
david

The reason for the name(Also known as tree onions) is that they form a head
of bulbuls in a stalk which as it dies falls over so the next clump to grow
is anything from 1 to 2.5 ft away from the first so that if left over a few
years they can move several yards.
In America they cut the stems and leaves into sections and have them
stuffed.
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 06-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "david" contains these words:

In America they cut the stems and leaves into sections and have them
stuffed.

Why would anyone take children to an onion museum?

Janet.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:44 AM
david

I just knew there was no way of posting this without some one picking up on
the wording
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Ken Saunders

"david" wrote in message ...
I just knew there was no way of posting this without some one picking up on
the wording

I know these as Welsh onions.Fens area....KS
Old 08-03-2003, 08:46 AM
david

Now I know Welsh onions as Siabion(Shibons) very common here in Wales and
are rather like a shallot but don't bulb up. Rather like what I have had as
Perpetual onions.
Would be nice if someone out there could come up with a Correct list of
names.
I have Tree/Walking/Egyptian onions yet have heard that Egyptian onions are
also known as Potato onions and form an underground bulb.
It gets very confusing.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 08-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Alan Gould

In article , david david@abacusnurser
ies.freeserve.co.uk writes
Now I know Welsh onions as Siabion(Shibons) very common here in Wales and
are rather like a shallot but don't bulb up. Rather like what I have had as
Perpetual onions.
Would be nice if someone out there could come up with a Correct list of
names.
I have Tree/Walking/Egyptian onions yet have heard that Egyptian onions are
also known as Potato onions and form an underground bulb.
It gets very confusing.

There's a lot of information about different onion species in the urg
FAQ called the Vegetable and Salad Plant INDEX at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm

Here are some unfinished notes I prepared while researching material for
the Veg.Index. If anyone has corrections to suggest or information about
the plants named in the 'Query' list at the bottom, I would be very
grateful.

The common garden onion is Allium cepa.
Allium is a genus of the Lily family which includes virtually all
culinary types of onion. There are over 300 types of Allium listed
including floral, ornamental, medicinal, field and wild varieties.
Edible Allium can be: Onion; Leek; Shallot; Garlic; Chive. They include:

A. acuminatum Taper Tip Onion; Hooker's Onion
A. aggregatum Potato Onion
A. ampeloprasum Elephant Garlic; Wild Leek; Kurrat
A. amplectens Narrow Leaved Onion
A. ascalonicum Shallot
A. bisceptrum Aspen Onion; Palmer's Onion
A. brevistylum Short Stem Onion
A. campanulatum Sierra Onion; Rosy Sierra Onion
A. canadense Meadow Garlic; Wild Field Garlic; Wild Garlic
A. carinatum Keeled Garlic
A. cepa Common, Garden or Globe onion
A. cepa aggregatum Egyptian Onion
A. cepa perutile Ever Ready Onion
A. cernuum Nodding Onion; Nodding Garlic
A. crenulatum Scalloped Onion
A. crispum Crinkled Onion
A. cyathophorum English Onion
A. falcifolium Sickle Leaved Onion
A. fimbriatum Fringed Onion
A. fistuilosum Chinese Spring Onion
A. fistulosum Welsh Onion; Scallion; Japanese Bunching Onion
A. flavum Yellow Onion
A. hyalinum Glassy Onion
A. lacunosum Pitted Onion
A. macropetalum Large Petal Onion
A. macrum Rock Onion
A. moly Wild Onion; Lily Leek; Golden Garlic; Moly
A. nigrum Black Garlic
A. oleraceum Field Garlic
A. paradoxum Few Flowered Leek
A. parvum Dwarf Onion
A. perutile Everlasting Onion
A. platycaule Broad Stemmed Onion
A. porrum Leek, Garden Leek; Prasium. (not House Leek)
A. proliferum Tree Onion
A. roseum Rosy Pink Garlic
A. sativum Garlic; Cropleek; Ail
A. schoenoprasum Chives; Sedgeleek; Wild Chives
A. scordoprasum Rocambole
A. scorodoprasum Sand Leek
A. senescens German Garlic
A. sphaerocephalon Round Headed Leek
A. sphaerocephalum Round Headed Garlic
A. stellatum Wild Onion; Autumn Onion
A. textile Wild White Onion
A. tribracteum Three Bract Onion
A. tricoccum Ramps; Wild Leek; Wood Leek
A. triquetrum Triangular Stalked Garlic; Triquetros Leek
A. tuberosum Chinese Chives; Cuchay; Garlic Chives; Nira etc.
A. ursinum Ramsoms; Bear's Garlic; Wild or Wood Garlic
A. validum Swamp Onion
A. victorialis Lange Siegwurz; Victoriale Longue
A. vineale Crow Garlic; Field Garlic; Cepalla Bavosa
A. viviparum Top Onion

Query: A.ascalonium; bakeri; bolanderi; brandegei; caeruleum; chinense;
christophii; cowanii; cyathophorum; dichlamydeum; douglasii; drummondii;
geyeri; giganteum; grayi; japonicum; karataviense; nevadense; nigrum;
obtusum; odorum; parishii; peninsulare; sanbornii; sibericum; tolmei;
unifolium;

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(david) wrote:

Would be nice if someone out there could come up with a Correct list
of names.

Try
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...Onion&FAM=&RAT
ING=1