GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Red teracota tiles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96104-red-teracota-tiles.html)

Tom 18-06-2005 04:15 PM

Red teracota tiles

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some? and
what are their proper name.
Regards
Tom

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-06-2005 06:39 PM

The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some? and
what are their proper name.

I could put you on to a supplier in South Norfolk, but they don't
deliver very far.

What they are called varies from area to area.

Here, they are 'pamments' (though they are a bit bigger than your 6"),
or floor-tiles.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

shazzbat 18-06-2005 09:56 PM

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in

pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they

should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some?

and
what are their proper name.

Quarry tiles I believe.

Steve

andrewpreece 19-06-2005 01:44 AM

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red

terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in

pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they

should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some?

and
what are their proper name.

Quarry tiles I believe.

Steve

Terracotta is not frostproof., hence their relative popularity in warmer
climes.
I am not sure of the sort of deterioration you would get in this country, I
suppose it depends on your exact location and how wet they would get.

Andy.

JennyC 19-06-2005 12:02 PM

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some? and
what are their proper name.
Regards
Tom

Can't help with an address, but if you find some make sure they are frostproof.
They need to be fired at a very high temperature.

Jenny