Old 18-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Tom

Default Red teracota tiles

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some? and
what are their proper name.
Regards
Tom

Old 18-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some? and
what are their proper name.

I could put you on to a supplier in South Norfolk, but they don't
deliver very far.

What they are called varies from area to area.

Here, they are 'pamments' (though they are a bit bigger than your 6"),
or floor-tiles.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-06-2005, 08:56 PM
shazzbat

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in

pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they

should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some?

and
what are their proper name.

Quarry tiles I believe.

Steve

Old 19-06-2005, 12:44 AM
andrewpreece

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red

terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in

pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they

should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some?

and
what are their proper name.

Quarry tiles I believe.

Steve

Terracotta is not frostproof., hence their relative popularity in warmer
climes.
I am not sure of the sort of deterioration you would get in this country, I
suppose it depends on your exact location and how wet they would get.

Andy.

Old 19-06-2005, 11:02 AM
JennyC

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm hoping to build some pillars in the garden out of the red terracotta
tiles you see in Spain,they use them end on for steps and flat in pillars
and walls so the visible bit is 6"x 1". Ideally, for my purpose they should
be approx 6"x 3"x 1" thick. does anyone know where I can obtain some? and
what are their proper name.
Regards
Tom

Can't help with an address, but if you find some make sure they are frostproof.
They need to be fired at a very high temperature.

Jenny

Rhubarb sprouting in between patio tiles?! Clemens United Kingdom 7 08-04-2008 04:33 PM
Old slate roof tiles as decorative mulch or any other garden use ??? Uncle-C United Kingdom 7 28-03-2007 07:03 PM
using tiles instead of a pond liner Derek Ponds (alternative) 4 30-07-2006 07:20 PM
Stopping wisteria growing under roof tiles Lobster United Kingdom 3 14-06-2005 08:45 AM