Old 18-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Boseley

Default Identification Please

Could someone help me identify this plant on the below mentioned link?

http://sendall1542.fotopic.net/c583728.html

The plant is about four foot in height, the flower petals are a purple
colour, star shaped and only appear to open during the morning period, the
stalk and leaves are not unlike the leaves and stalk of Pinks but greener
and larger.

The plant appeared in my neighbour's garden, we are all mystified,

Thanks in anticipation,

Bob

Old 18-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Sacha

On 18/6/05 8:30 pm, in article
, "Boseley"
wrote:

Could someone help me identify this plant on the below mentioned link?

http://sendall1542.fotopic.net/c583728.html

The plant is about four foot in height, the flower petals are a purple
colour, star shaped and only appear to open during the morning period, the
stalk and leaves are not unlike the leaves and stalk of Pinks but greener
and larger.

The plant appeared in my neighbour's garden, we are all mystified,

Isn't there an Australian group that can help you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Boseley" contains these words:

Could someone help me identify this plant on the below mentioned link?

http://sendall1542.fotopic.net/c583728.html

The plant in No 5 looks very like goat's beard (Tragopodon pratensis),
but the flower doesn't resemble it. Could it be salsify (Tragopodon
porrifolius) I wonder: this does have purple flowers, but I don't have
an illustration anywhere.

The plant is about four foot in height, the flower petals are a purple
colour, star shaped and only appear to open during the morning period, the
stalk and leaves are not unlike the leaves and stalk of Pinks but greener
and larger.

The plant appeared in my neighbour's garden, we are all mystified,

If it is salsify, the root is edible (Vegetable oyster, IIRC). However,
you might save some of the seeds and have a tasty crop next year.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 18/6/05 8:30 pm, in article
, "Boseley"
wrote:

Could someone help me identify this plant on the below mentioned link?

http://sendall1542.fotopic.net/c583728.html

The plant is about four foot in height, the flower petals are a purple
colour, star shaped and only appear to open during the morning period, the
stalk and leaves are not unlike the leaves and stalk of Pinks but greener
and larger.

The plant appeared in my neighbour's garden, we are all mystified,

Isn't there an Australian group that can help you?

It's not as clear a photograph as the last one posted, but I think that
it's salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius) again. If this is the case then
the "petals" are actually ligulate florets.

What's Australia got to do with it? - the OP seems to be posting from
BT.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Boseley

Snip
"
Isn't there an Australian group that can help you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Perhaps an Australian group could help, but I didn't think of that me being
halfway between Holmfirth and Wakefield!!

Old 19-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Sacha

On 19/6/05 10:24, in article
, "Boseley"
wrote:

Snip
"
Isn't there an Australian group that can help you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Perhaps an Australian group could help, but I didn't think of that me being
halfway between Holmfirth and Wakefield!!

I wondered where you were, given the query, and got Australia as an answer!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk