Old 04-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Rosie

Default Can I chop height off: (1) gum tree (2) leylandii

Hello,

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

I also have three leylandii which are about 100 foot - if I chop half the
height of these, will they continue to grow okay?

I am getting a tree surgeon in for this of course, I am not going to attempt
it myself with scissors or anything, but I want to make sure he answers
correctly.

Thanks!
ROSIE

Old 04-03-2003, 07:11 PM
AWM

"Rosie" wrote in message
Hello,

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height

off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

I also have three leylandii which are about 100 foot - if I chop half the
height of these, will they continue to grow okay?

I don't know about the Gumtree but the Letlandi will be back to 100 foot
within the blink of an eye nothing can slow them except chopping down to
ground level and grubbing up the roots -- as you may gather I can't stand
the things.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Mike

In article , Rosie
writes
Hello,

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

I also have three leylandii which are about 100 foot - if I chop half the
height of these, will they continue to grow okay?

I am getting a tree surgeon in for this of course, I am not going to attempt
it myself with scissors or anything, but I want to make sure he answers
correctly.

Thanks!
ROSIE

I have read reports on here that if you trim a Leylandii back to the
trunk/bare branch it won't grow green stuff again. This was just after I
had taken one right back to said trunk and bare branches :-((

2 months later growing the green stuff and now a lovely screen again
:-))

Mike

http://www.collingwoodassoc.org.uk/ Reunion. Chatham May 30th - June 2nd

Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Stephen WILLIAMS

Rosie,
I can't vouch for a gum tree that high, but mine are like "cut and come
again" lettuces.
I have taken a 20 foot tree down to 18 inches in March and it was back up to
10 feet by the end of the summer.

Steve

Old 04-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rosie" wrote in message
Hello,

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height

off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

I also have three leylandii which are about 100 foot - if I chop half the
height of these, will they continue to grow okay?

I am getting a tree surgeon in for this of course, I am not going to

attempt
it myself with scissors or anything, but I want to make sure he answers
correctly.

Thanks!
ROSIE

Re the leylandii why bother with the expense when they'll be right back
again in 5 minutes? Try cutting 101ft off them it shouldnt cost much more
and will be permanent.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 05-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Rosie

Well the council are about to start a major housing development right behind
my leylandii, so at least they are sparing me the sight of building works
for now....

ROSIE

Old 05-03-2003, 02:04 PM
David

Mike

I have read reports on here that if you trim a Leylandii back to the
trunk/bare branch it won't grow green stuff again. This was just after I
had taken one right back to said trunk and bare branches :-((

2 months later growing the green stuff and now a lovely screen again
:-))

Mike

I agree with Mike. I've also seen Leylandii bush up to a thick hedge
from bare trunks after the green top was cut off.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Rosie said:

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

Hi Rosie,

My neighbour's eucalyptus was cropped from around 60' to 30' early last
year, and it seems to be growing upwards just fine (about 2-3' so far).

The tree-surgeon was no artist though, and gave the poor thing a bit of
a "flat-top" effect. Seems a shame, I kind of liked it when it was
taller, though with the winds we get up here (100' AMSL -- and that's a
mountain by Essex standards), it used to bend over a little in the
breeze, so I can understand it was making them a little nervous.

Best wishes,

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Edit email address to reply
Old 07-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Ken Saunders

"Rosie" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

I also have three leylandii which are about 100 foot - if I chop half the
height of these, will they continue to grow okay?

I am getting a tree surgeon in for this of course, I am not going to attempt
it myself with scissors or anything, but I want to make sure he answers
correctly.

Thanks!
ROSIE

Hi Rosie...I once took 6ft off a 30ft Leylandii and it had all
grown back by the time I got down the ladder.cheers Ken
Old 08-03-2003, 11:32 AM
David

In article , Ken
Saunders writes
"Rosie" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello,

I have about 80 foot of gum tree/eucalyptus - if I chop half the height off,
will it continue to grow upwards okay?

I also have three leylandii which are about 100 foot - if I chop half the
height of these, will they continue to grow okay?

I am getting a tree surgeon in for this of course, I am not going to attempt
it myself with scissors or anything, but I want to make sure he answers
correctly.

Thanks!
ROSIE

Hi Rosie...I once took 6ft off a 30ft Leylandii and it had all
grown back by the time I got down the ladder.cheers Ken

It took you two years to get down the ladder? that must be an all time
record!
--
David