GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brendy again about buddliea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96180-brendy-again-about-buddliea.html)

Brendy 20-06-2005 02:23 PM

Brendy again about buddliea

No I didn't prune it back since I planted it. But I'm learning all the time. Is it too late to prune back the buddliea? Can you tell me what's best? Thanks again for all the help.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 20-06-2005 06:56 PM

In message , Brendy
writes

No I didn't prune it back since I planted it. But I'm learning all the
time. Is it too late to prune back the buddliea? Can you tell me
what's best? Thanks again for all the help.

If you prune a Buddleia now you're liable to lose this year's flowers.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stephen Howard 20-06-2005 10:26 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:23:39 +0000, Brendy
wrote:

No I didn't prune it back since I planted it. But I'm learning all the
time. Is it too late to prune back the buddliea? Can you tell me
what's best? Thanks again for all the help.

I'd leave it for the time being.
There's a slim chance that you'd get some blooms later if you pruned
it back now - but it would probably be a poor show.
Buds in the wild seem to put on a decent show year in year out,
without any pruning...so sit back and enjoy whatever turns up this
summer.

Come the Autumn, give it a decent prune back.
You can cut them back quite harshly - and indeed, it's often best to
otherwise you get a very straggly looking plant.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

nambucca 21-06-2005 06:25 PM

wrote:

No I didn't prune it back since I planted it. But I'm learning all the
time. Is it too late to prune back the buddliea? Can you tell me
what's best? Thanks again for all the help.

I'd leave it for the time being.
There's a slim chance that you'd get some blooms later if you pruned
it back now - but it would probably be a poor show.
Buds in the wild seem to put on a decent show year in year out,
without any pruning...so sit back and enjoy whatever turns up this
summer.

Come the Autumn, give it a decent prune back.
You can cut them back quite harshly - and indeed, it's often best to
otherwise you get a very straggly looking plant.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

I cut my buddlieas back to about 3ft high in the autumn then when they start
to shoot in the spring cut them back to just above 2 shoots on each stem any
furthur and you could loose shoots in late frosts