Old 20-06-2005, 09:27 AM
aaj

Default Questions from a want to be gardner

Hi all

The previous owners of my house layed membrane and then gravel over the soil
in the back garden.

I have lifted the gravel but left the membrane down for now, and ultimately
would like to turf the area. I have three linked questions, and I am
wondering if anyone can help with them.

1) Should I lift the membrane and let some air get to the (now compacted and
claylike) soil before turfing, or can I turf without exposing the soil? I
should mention that the soil looks a bit 'stagnent'. If I need to dry it
out, how long should I leave the soil exposed.

2) While lifting a corner of the membrane, I can see what looks like roots
compacted in the soil, Whats the best stuff to poison the area with, and how
long should I leave it before turfing.

3) a nice easy one, how thick (roughly) is a piece of turf (so I can get my
path levels correct)

any help for a newbie gardner would be welcome

many thanks

Andy

Old 20-06-2005, 10:47 AM

lift the membrane and dig over as soon as you have the time. dig out
the roots - there shouldn't be lots as the membrane will have squashed
most of the plants.
this will then have to be compacted again for the turf but not
compacted to concreteishness as it probly currently is.

Old 20-06-2005, 01:23 PM
aaj

Thanks Sarah

Is there a recommended minimum time between removing the old membrane and
putting down the new turf.

i.e. If I dig it this weekend, do I have to leave it for a month or two, or
can I turf straight on to it

thanks

Andy

oups.com...

Old 20-06-2005, 02:15 PM

well, i dont think you should worry about waiting for a period unless
you have something specific in mind.
It depends on what you mean when you say the soil is 'stagnant' and
needs some air. The idea of 'dead' soil is quite a real one but it
means things like - there is little hummus in the soil or that there is
little in terms of beneficial microbes which help plants grow.
Which i dont think is particularly crucial for growing grass.
You may find that a good dig does the ground a world of good.

Old 20-06-2005, 02:21 PM
aaj

Many thanks

will begin the digging this weekend

Andy

ups.com...

Old 20-06-2005, 04:26 PM
shazzbat

"aaj" wrote in message
news:1119270237.c941eb706ee8f9edead661c2ba7ebaef@t eranews...
Thanks Sarah

Is there a recommended minimum time between removing the old membrane and
putting down the new turf.

i.e. If I dig it this weekend, do I have to leave it for a month or two,

or
can I turf straight on to it

thanks

In your position I would not remove the membrane. It is there to prevent
weeds coming up through the gravel or turf. I would dig over only if you
feel it is not sufficiently level, put the membrane back and lay the turf on
it. Effectively you have been given some free membrane. Don't knock it.
You'll look a bit silly if you remove the membrane, dig over the ground,
turf it, and end up with loads of horsetails.

Steve