Old 05-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Newbie Gardener

Default Poppies from Seed

All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are to
flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from any
annual weeds that spring up.

Thanks for any help
Lorraine
Old 05-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Victoria Clare

ojunk (Newbie Gardener) wrote in
:

All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are
to flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from
any annual weeds that spring up.

I have never had much luck with them either way. They always seem to
grow where they want to, not where I want them to!

I had most luck taking fresh seedheads and sprinkling the seed direct
from the 'pepperpot' where I wanted them as soon as the seeds were ripe
- but even then I didn't get great results. I don't think they like
being packeted.

Oh, this is the wild red poppy and its relations I mean. Opium poppies
are much easier, and though they aren't very distinctive as tiny
seedlings they quite quickly develop those fleshy pale leaves and can be
weeded then.

Good 'just sprinkle on seed' plants that are really, really easy you
might want to try:

Love in the Mist (Nigella) (very distinctive leaves - you will easily
spot them even as young seedlings)

White Alyssum (good honey scent but look like any random weed until
several weeks old)

Virginia Stock (ditto for Alyssum)

Aquilegias (bog standard wild variety - refined ones worth growing in
pots first. Distinctive easy to spot seedlings)

Those dratted blue things, what are they called, with the grey blue
leaves and the little purple honey-scented flowers. Someone will know.
Pretty, but plant once and be forever plagued...

nasturtians (seedlings easy to spot with distinctive leaves)

bog-standard golden marigolds (ditto for Alyssum except the smell).

Victoria

Old 05-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Annabel

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are

flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from

any
annual weeds that spring up.

Thanks for any help
Lorraine

They really ought to be sown in situ.. If you sow a few extra and mark
their position you will be able to see what the seedlings look like.

Bell

Old 05-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Jack

I was planning on seeding my poppies in situ, but I thought I'd sow them in
straight lines or in one particular area and then move them when I know what
they are.

Last year I made the mistake of willy-nilly scattering a wildflower mixture,
and then I had to look at what looked like an untidy, weedy border until the
plants had grown to a decent size. It was very ugly for a couple of months.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Martin Sykes

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are to
flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from any
annual weeds that spring up.

Thanks for any help
Lorraine

I sowed them thickly in seed trays in the greenhouse because the site wasn't
ready and I'm a bit impatient. When they were getting too crowded I broke
them up into clumps and planted them. They seem to be doing fine so far.

Martin

Old 05-03-2003, 04:16 PM
AWM

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are to
flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from any
annual weeds that spring up.

Thanks for any help
Lorraine

They transplant ok but it sets them back a lot but last year having said
that I had them still flowering well into November which is pretty good as
far north as I am (Central Scotland)

I have had pretty mixed results with germination they don't seem to geminate
well in the same ground for 2 years in succession, I have had the most luck
with very cheap packets of seeds bought from the Lidel cut price supermarket
chain these appear a better bet than well known brands.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Victoria
Clare writes

Those dratted blue things, what are they called, with the grey blue
leaves and the little purple honey-scented flowers. Someone will know.
Pretty, but plant once and be forever plagued...

Cerinthe major?

The wild version is called Honeywort - I didn't know why - didn't
realise it smelt of honey.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 06-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

Subject: Poppies from Seed
From: Kay Easton
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

In article , Victoria
Clare writes

Those dratted blue things, what are they called, with the grey blue
leaves and the little purple honey-scented flowers. Someone will know.
Pretty, but plant once and be forever plagued...

Cerinthe major?

The wild version is called Honeywort - I didn't know why - didn't
realise it smelt of honey.

Doh! yes, that's the one!

Mine have quite a distinctive scent, specially the ones that have invaded
the greenhouse.

Victoria
Old 06-03-2003, 01:55 AM
Mike Hunter

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are

flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from

any
annual weeds that spring up.

Thanks for any help
Lorraine

I sowed them thickly in seed trays in the greenhouse because the site

wasn't
ready and I'm a bit impatient. When they were getting too crowded I broke
them up into clumps and planted them. They seem to be doing fine so far.

Martin

Like Martin, I grew oriental poppies in the greenhouse last year because a
friend with only a small garden had asked me to start some off for her.
Germination was reasonable for most varieties (we had about 8 different) and
transplanting them was not a problem.

Mike

Old 06-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Paul Taylor

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:24:33 +0000, Emrys Davies wrote:

If you want a brightish yellow poppy which has a long season of
flowering, get 'Welsh Poppy'. But, be warned, it spreads all over the
place.

They have also the additional advantage of liking shady conditions.

The road I live on has north facing walls on my side of the road and
south facing on the other side. The Welsh popies seem to love it both
side flowering for many months.

I tried to get some seed about two weeks ago but none of the local garden
centres stocked it which I found suprising. All of them stocked
himalayan, wild, +lots of others that I have never heard of. I had to
order them so I just hope they arrive in time for me to sow them!!

Regards,

PT.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Newbie Gardener wrote:
All the seed packets seem to say poppies should be sowed where the are to
flower. Is there anyone who has had success sowing them indoors and
transplanting them? I'm scared I wont be able to tell them apart from any
annual weeds that spring up.

Sow them in lines. You'll be able to spot the line when they come
up and that'll tell them apart from the weeds.

Sharon
Old 06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
TheS

Dwayne wrote:
Have any of you seen or raised one that has the orange flower, but with a
white rim around the top of it? I saw one in a garden one year, that the
gentleman was taking plant orders from. He could never fill my order for
one reason or another. I would love to get some seeds and try them myself.
Thanks. Dwayne

I never seem to have had trouble getting picotee flowering Iceland
poppies (Papaver nudicaule) if that's what you mean.

A strain called "Flamenco" is available from Chiltern
(www.chilternseeds.co.uk), if that helps.

Here's a shortcut to their info page, you'll probably need to repair it
after it wraps, though.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...cordID=BFBEAAB

Thes.

Old 06-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:55:20 -0000, "Mike Hunter"
wrote:

Like Martin, I grew oriental poppies in the greenhouse last year because a
friend with only a small garden had asked me to start some off for her.
Germination was reasonable for most varieties (we had about 8 different) and
transplanting them was not a problem.

Tell us more. What size containers did you use for the sowing?
How did you manage to sow the seeds thinly enough?

I have a number of packets of poppy seed of various kinds and
they don't do well in my garden if broadcast, so I have a special
interest in container sowing.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 06-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Newbie Gardener

Thankyou for all the replies! It was really interesting reading them. I think
I'll start some indoors and the rest I'll sow in situ. BTW if anyone happens to
have any poppy seeds they don't want *hint, hint* ;o)

Lorraine (aka poor student)