Old 21-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Meconopsis cambrica "aurea"

While collecting seed of the usual yellow (wild-type) and orange
(aurantiaca) forms of Meconopsis cambrica, I discovered a plant growing
in a crack between the house and the paths with gold flowers. I don't
suppose that this is a new colour break, though I don't find any
immediate mention of it - the other two colour forms I know of are two
scarlets, "rubra" ('Frances Perry') and coccinea. However I feel I ought
to try and bulk this up.

It's some time since I tried sowing Meconopsis cambrica, rather than
just letting them sow themselves around, but I seem to remember it
taking me more than one attempt to get them established in my garden. I
seem to recall that the seed is best sown fresh, and that the plants
aren't particularly keen on root disturbance (tho' I've had mature
plants out of the soil, when digging over beds).

Can anyone enlighten me further.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info