GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   identifying bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9632-identifying-bamboo.html)

Lucy 05-03-2003 06:39 PM

identifying bamboo

My neighbour has a large clump of bamboo, which is about 10-12ft high, and I
really like it. It has large mid-green leaves about 10 inches long and
light brown bamboo canes. Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Here's a picture if that helps...

http://www.REMOVETHISPLEASEbabyspide....uk/bamboo.jpg

Thanks!
LUCY

Adam Davis 05-03-2003 10:44 PM

identifying bamboo

Hi Lucy,

I am quite sure that it is a Pseudosasa Japonica.

I have one on my garden that was planted in the ground 2 years ago and is
very happy.

There is loads of info on the internet about this bamboo, so a search on
Google or similar would help you.

Only slight problem is that they can be a bit of a runner, but this is
relatively easily curbed with a sharp eye and sharp spade ;-!

Hope this helps.

Adam
"Lucy" wrote in message
My neighbour has a large clump of bamboo, which is about 10-12ft high, and

really like it. It has large mid-green leaves about 10 inches long and
light brown bamboo canes. Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Here's a picture if that helps...

http://www.REMOVETHISPLEASEbabyspide....uk/bamboo.jpg

Thanks!
LUCY

06-03-2003 03:01 AM

identifying bamboo

"Adam Davis" wrote in message
Hi Lucy,

I am quite sure that it is a Pseudosasa Japonica.

I have one on my garden that was planted in the ground 2 years ago and is
very happy.

There is loads of info on the internet about this bamboo, so a search on
Google or similar would help you.

Only slight problem is that they can be a bit of a runner, but this is
relatively easily curbed with a sharp eye and sharp spade ;-!

I buried corrugated metal lawn edging around mine and that seems to be
keeping it in place.

Colin Bignell

AWM 06-03-2003 10:57 AM

identifying bamboo

"Lucy" wrote in message
My neighbour has a large clump of bamboo, which is about 10-12ft high, and

really like it. It has large mid-green leaves about 10 inches long and
light brown bamboo canes. Can anyone tell me what it might be?

Here's a picture if that helps...

http://www.REMOVETHISPLEASEbabyspide....uk/bamboo.jpg

Thanks!
LUCY

Bambos grow very easily and quickly from a cutting but with any bamboo I
strongly recommend planting it in some sort of buried container such a as
builders bucket to constrian its spread.