Old 24-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Rod

Default Gooseberry Sawfly

It's that time of year again. If your gooseberry leaves are
disappearing at
a rate of knots - these are what you're looking for.
http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/Sawfly1.jpg
http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/Sawfly2.jpg

They are beautifully camouflaged and quite difficult to see. Pic 1
shows a
typical position along the edge of a leaf.

I'm doing this through google because something in my new set up isn't
allowing my posts through. New broadband connection with tiscali, or
Norton privacy control or firewall - can't work it out atm.
Do the spambots see the email addy used for google groups? - using the
spamtrap address just in case.

--
Rod

Old 25-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Steve Harris

Interesting. I had something similar a few weeks back but without the
black bits. They rapidly ate leaves on the gooseberry bush starting from
the edge.

Fairly obvious if you check the damaged leaves.

They're dead now.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 29-06-2005, 11:55 AM
david taylor

I have seen the effects of gooseberry sawfly and they are very devastating.
Earlier this year I had catepillars on my redcurrants. I dealt with them
very quickly-are they the same beast?