GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Suggestions for a new hose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96440-suggestions-new-hose.html)

ZoeM 25-06-2005 05:54 PM

Suggestions for a new hose

Hi All,

I have a hozelock (I think that's the name) hose. I bought it a few years ago, conected all the bits up - and its stored all wound round one of those things with a handle at the side.

Anyway - the connecters keep disconnecting - covering me with water. I've put the hose back in, tightened the plastic screw thing that goes over it. And then it happens again. I'm sick of using it - even when its working reasonably well, it still dribbles water down my leg. And the kinks drive me insane too!

Any suggestiosn for a hose that can be stored neatly, and doesn't constantly disconnect (preferably with no connectors). I thought of getting one of the coiled ones?

Thanks!

Zoe

JB 27-06-2005 11:50 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:54:20 +0000, ZoeM
wrote:

I have a hozelock (I think that's the name) hose. I bought it a few
years ago, conected all the bits up - and its stored all wound round
one of those things with a handle at the side.

Anyway - the connecters keep disconnecting - covering me with water.
I've put the hose back in, tightened the plastic screw thing that goes
over it. And then it happens again. I'm sick of using it - even when
its working reasonably well, it still dribbles water down my leg. And
the kinks drive me insane too!

I have one of these and over time the hose weakens near the connector.
Try trimming the last few cm of the hose and then reconnecting. It
will still leak slightly but not profusely and not disconnect.

There's not much you can do about the kinks other than replace with
more expensive hose.

Draven 27-06-2005 03:24 PM

--
ZoeM

My anti-kink hose has began to kink.
I've had it a few years now and the Sun has taken its toll.

JohnOGroats 28-06-2005 10:56 PM

My hose is splitting at the end because I am leaving it on and the pressure seems to be getting in between the walls (two ply) and bursting it. I have cut it back twice and now try to tl;eave it without the trigger sprayer attachment.

You could try the ribbon hose. Expensive but antikink and very neat!

Draven 29-06-2005 02:00 PM

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

My hose is splitting at the end because I am leaving it on and the
pressure seems to be getting in between the walls (two ply) and
bursting it. I have cut it back twice and now try to tl;eave it
without the trigger sprayer attachment.

You could try the ribbon hose. Expensive but antikink and very neat!

--
JohnOGroats

Funny that I was looking at a ribbon hose yesterday.

Gandalf 29-06-2005 05:51 PM

FWIW I tried a ribbon hose and it didn't last well at all. I have just replaced my Hozelock Professional but it did last ten years so I can't grumble. As has already been said, from time to time the attachments will need to be reterminated as the hose tends to deteriorate. Make sure you get a nice clean cut, not like my wife who tried lopping the end of with secateurs!

As they say, buy cheap buy twice.

Stan The Man 30-06-2005 12:25 PM

In article , Gandalf
wrote:

FWIW I tried a ribbon hose and it didn't last well at all. I have
justreplaced my Hozelock Professional but it did last ten years so I
can'tgrumble. As has already been said, from time to time the attachmentswill
need to be reterminated as the hose tends to deteriorate. Makesure you get a
nice clean cut, not like my wife who tried lopping theend of with secateurs!

As they say, buy cheap buy twice.-- Gandalf

Some other hose tips:

- Rewind after use
- Don't leave it pressurised for more than an hour or two
- Don't leave it outside during frosts
- Periodically replace the runner 'O' ring inside the connector
- Attach connectors when the hose is dry, and preferably warm