GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Caterpillars on me Broccoli (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96452-caterpillars-me-broccoli.html)

Tony Wood 25-06-2005 05:05 PM

Caterpillars on me Broccoli

Anyone any advice for dealing with caterpillar eating my broccoli and
sprouts?!? Don't particularly want something to kill 'em (unless that's
all I can do!), but would like them to not be eating me veg!

Tony.

Robert 25-06-2005 05:17 PM

"Tony Wood" wrote in message
: Anyone any advice for dealing with caterpillar eating my broccoli and
: sprouts?!? Don't particularly want something to kill 'em (unless that's
: all I can do!), but would like them to not be eating me veg!
:
: Tony.

You squash them with your fingers... and make sure there are no survivors

Dwayne 25-06-2005 05:31 PM

I spray them, but chickens will work if they dont eat the rest of your
garden. Dont forget to completely cover your broccoli in salt water for 20
minutes after you pick it and before you eat it. Then the little buggers
will come out and you can get rid of them.

Dwayne

andrewpreece 25-06-2005 05:31 PM

"Robert" wrote in message

"Tony Wood" wrote in message
: Anyone any advice for dealing with caterpillar eating my broccoli and
: sprouts?!? Don't particularly want something to kill 'em (unless that's
: all I can do!), but would like them to not be eating me veg!
:
: Tony.

You squash them with your fingers... and make sure there are no survivors

Yup, it's them or you! If you are particularly squeamish I believe Broccoli
can be
grown under fleece, if it is sealed against butterfly entry.

Andy.

anita kean 27-06-2005 07:55 AM

In article , Dwayne wrote:

"Tony Wood" wrote in message
Anyone any advice for dealing with caterpillar eating my broccoli and
sprouts?!? Don't particularly want something to kill 'em (unless that's
all I can do!), but would like them to not be eating me veg!

Tony.

Cats can be trained to catch the white butterflies that lay the eggs
that hatch into the caterpillars.
One summer I got my mother a new kitten, aged about 6 weeks old, from
the SPCA (in New Zealand), and it wasn't long before, watching me clap
my hands half the day to catch those butterflies, the kitten was depositing
a mat full of them for me to admire it and thank it for.

Anita

Tony Wood 27-06-2005 06:43 PM

In message , anita kean
writes
In article , Dwayne wrote:

"Tony Wood" wrote in message
Anyone any advice for dealing with caterpillar eating my broccoli and
sprouts?!? Don't particularly want something to kill 'em (unless that's
all I can do!), but would like them to not be eating me veg!

Tony.

Cats can be trained to catch the white butterflies that lay the eggs
that hatch into the caterpillars.
One summer I got my mother a new kitten, aged about 6 weeks old, from
the SPCA (in New Zealand), and it wasn't long before, watching me clap
my hands half the day to catch those butterflies, the kitten was depositing
a mat full of them for me to admire it and thank it for.

ROFL - I'm afraid that IMO cats would be worse than caterpillars... ;-)

T.