GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Washing builders pebbles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96477-washing-builders-pebbles.html)

Broadback 26-06-2005 01:38 PM

Washing builders pebbles

I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made
a screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would
work. Any other ideas welcomed.

Cross posted to uk.d-i-y and uk.rec.gardening.

Rob Morley 26-06-2005 02:22 PM

In article , "Broadback"
says...
I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made
a screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would
work. Any other ideas welcomed.

Lay them, hose them down.

Broadback 26-06-2005 06:15 PM

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "Broadback"
says...

I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made
a screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would
work. Any other ideas welcomed.

Lay them, hose them down.

Yep, that works, the only problem then is that the sand lies between the
pebbles and any weed suppressor, giving a dood source for weeds to grow
and worms to live!

Jupiter 26-06-2005 09:26 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:15:15 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "Broadback"
says...

I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made
a screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would
work. Any other ideas welcomed.

Lay them, hose them down.

Yep, that works, the only problem then is that the sand lies between the
pebbles and any weed suppressor, giving a dood source for weeds to grow
and worms to live!

You'll get fallen leaves, various wind-borne debris and dust etc.
falling between the pebbles anyway, making a growing medium, so you
will have to give periodic attention to weed growth. I wouldn't worry
too much about the sand.

Tumbleweed 26-06-2005 10:35 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "Broadback"
says...

I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made a
screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would work.
Any other ideas welcomed.

Lay them, hose them down.

Yep, that works, the only problem then is that the sand lies between the
pebbles and any weed suppressor, giving a dood source for weeds to grow
and worms to live!

sand is not a food source for anything. It might help weeds root slighty
better but you'll get them growing anyway, the idea about the membrane is to
make it easy to pull them up because they havent rooted in the soil, as much
as to stop already existing weeds germinating. You'll find the cat shit will
be a much better source of food for the weeds :-(

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

keith_765 27-06-2005 09:06 AM

"Jupiter" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:15:15 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , "Broadback"
says...

I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made
a screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would
work. Any other ideas welcomed.

Lay them, hose them down.

Yep, that works, the only problem then is that the sand lies between the
pebbles and any weed suppressor, giving a dood source for weeds to grow
and worms to live!

You'll get fallen leaves, various wind-borne debris and dust etc.
falling between the pebbles anyway, making a growing medium, so you
will have to give periodic attention to weed growth. I wouldn't worry
too much about the sand.

Ask for GRAVEL sold in sizes 12mm, 20mm. When it contains sand its called
Ballast.

Rick 27-06-2005 09:53 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:38:18 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I need a lot of pebbles to cover an area of my garden. I reckon the
cheapest source would be from builders merchants, but they contain some
sand which I would like to remove. Anyone done this, I think if I made
a screen then placed some pebbles in, sprayed with water that would
work. Any other ideas welcomed.

Cross posted to uk.d-i-y and uk.rec.gardening.

On EBay right now is a HUGE mechanical sive

However I'd use rain, or simulated rain (hosepipe)

Rick