Old 26-06-2005, 04:55 PM
chilli-heads.com

Default Growing chillies

Anybody on here like to grow chilli peppers? It's great adding your own home
grown peppers to your hot Indian curries. I've been growing them for the
past few years now and you get surprisingly good results here in the UK.
This growing season started off a bit iffy with the weather, but the sun has
been shining over the past few weeks and my Cayenne chilli plants have some
nice big peppers growing on them now! Can't wait to eat them later in the
summer.
I'd be interested in hearing if others enjoy growing them also.
If you are interested in chillies and hot and spicy food, I've just started
a website dedicated to chillies and spicy food. I just launched a recipes
section yesterday and will be adding more and more recipes including
restaurant style Indian curries. I'm also selling chilli seeds and curry
pastes through the site including the second hottest chilli seed variety in
the world (The Caribbean Red Habanero at 475,000 scovilles). I will be
opening up a discussion forum on the site as well so that people can share
their growing tips and spicy recipes!

--
Regards,
Greg (www.chilli-heads.com)

Old 27-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Draven

"chilli-heads.com" wrote in message
[...]

I grow chillies and have eaten a whole habenero raw.

Great site. I have bookmarked it and sent it to my chilli mate.

Old 27-06-2005, 08:10 PM
chilli-heads.com

Thanks! How did you feel after eating the Hab raw? I'm sure it came out with
a bang after you digested it! ;-)

--
Regards,
Greg (www.chilli-heads.com)

. uk...

Old 27-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
chilli-heads.com wrote:
Thanks! How did you feel after eating the Hab raw? I'm sure it came out with
a bang after you digested it! ;-)

Not particularly. Their fire is exaggerated, but I don't like them
much because of their flavour. Admittedly, the only one I ate raw
I had grown, and UK sun isn't enough to get them to heat up. But I
was given the seeds of 3-4 and the flesh of one by my family (on
pizza). That was as hot as I like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-06-2005, 10:58 PM
chilli-heads.com

I know what you mean. That tangy kind of taste rather than the good old
fashioned fresh green chilli taste.
--
Regards,
Greg (www.chilli-heads.com)

Old 27-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
chilli-heads.com wrote:
Thanks! How did you feel after eating the Hab raw? I'm sure it

came
out with a bang after you digested it! ;-)

Not particularly. Their fire is exaggerated, but I don't like them
much because of their flavour. Admittedly, the only one I ate raw
I had grown, and UK sun isn't enough to get them to heat up. But I
was given the seeds of 3-4 and the flesh of one by my family (on
pizza). That was as hot as I like.

Was it on this newsgroup that I announced my wide-eyed discovery that
the seeds of chillies aren't hot? Only to be told by the experts, "Of
course they aren't: it's the flesh and chiefly the placenta which
pack the punch. We thought everybody knew that!"

--
Mike.

Old 28-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Was it on this newsgroup that I announced my wide-eyed discovery that
the seeds of chillies aren't hot? Only to be told by the experts, "Of
course they aren't: it's the flesh and chiefly the placenta which
pack the punch. We thought everybody knew that!"

Yes. But, when you remove the seeds from the flesh of a fresh,
not overripe, chili, you usually remove most of the placenta with
the seeds. That is why it is a common myth/simplification to say
that the seeds are where the heat is, rather than the flesh, and
why deseeding chilis does reduce their heat.

You don't imagine that my family separated the seeds from the
placents before putting both on my pizza, do you? That would be
silly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
chilli-heads.com wrote:
I know what you mean. That tangy kind of taste rather than the good old
fashioned fresh green chilli taste.

Yes. A tangy, slightly metallic taste. The one I favour is Thai
Dragon, because it has a strong and very pleasant flavour. Jalapeno
has a distinctive and good flavour, but is quite cool. I am growing
Lemon Drop this year, as well, and shall see what that is like.

The hot ones of my childhood (Bird's Eye, which is actually many
varieties) tend to be low on flavour, though often very hot. So do
most of the longer ones I have tried, though they are usually cooler.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Was it on this newsgroup that I announced my wide-eyed discovery

that
the seeds of chillies aren't hot? Only to be told by the experts,

"Of
course they aren't: it's the flesh and chiefly the placenta which
pack the punch. We thought everybody knew that!"

Yes. But, when you remove the seeds from the flesh of a fresh,
not overripe, chili, you usually remove most of the placenta with
the seeds. That is why it is a common myth/simplification to say
that the seeds are where the heat is, rather than the flesh, and
why deseeding chilis does reduce their heat.

You don't imagine that my family separated the seeds from the
placents before putting both on my pizza, do you? That would be
silly.

Not sure that I was imagining anything, merely making an observation.
Thanks for confirming it.

--
Mike.

Old 28-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Niall Smyth

hi all

I planted a load of seeds from chillis I got in tesco (very succesful)

Does anyone know the variety it is?
They are about 4-5 inches long and a typical long thin waxy type

They come in a small clear package maked "mixed chillis"
with red and greens, with a "medium" rating

I also got some in an asian shop
all green, waxy thin and about 3" long, quite hot
Variety anyone??

ciao

niall

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Old 28-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Draven

chilli-heads.com wrote:
Thanks! How did you feel after eating the Hab raw? I'm sure it came out
with
a bang after you digested it! ;-)

Not particularly. Their fire is exaggerated, but I don't like them
much because of their flavour. Admittedly, the only one I ate raw
I had grown, and UK sun isn't enough to get them to heat up. But I
was given the seeds of 3-4 and the flesh of one by my family (on
pizza). That was as hot as I like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I never cook with them as they give a perfumed taste to the food which I
don't care for all that much.

It was bloody hot though!

I prefer bog standard green chillies bought from my local Asian shop. Lovely
crisp and crunch and hot.

I grow one every year that I buy from garden centres.
It's called Patio Chilli and it's a beauty anyone know the actual name of
it.

I have a Tepin plant in my greenhouse. Very small fruits with plenty of
power. It's the only chilli that has ever made my brother claim "that's
hot". He did eat two raw though.

Old 28-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Chris Bacon

chilli-heads.com wrote:
Anybody on here like to grow chilli peppers?

Dunno. Grow chilis, though, are they the same? "Apache". Lots of
little chilis, grow well in pots.
Old 30-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Draven

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
chilli-heads.com wrote:
Anybody on here like to grow chilli peppers?

Dunno. Grow chilis, though, are they the same? "Apache". Lots of
little chilis, grow well in pots.

Yep! They are the same.
I like Apache, I have one in my greenhouse ATM.

Old 30-06-2005, 09:25 PM
roy king

Hi I am growing Chillies in a conservatory ,and wonder what I should be
doing with themThe plants are about a foot high.
Thanks

Roy

Old 30-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Mike Lyle

roy king wrote:
Hi I am growing Chillies in a conservatory ,and wonder what I

should
be doing with themThe plants are about a foot high.
Thanks

Nothing much: treat 'em about the same as tomatoes, but in rather
smaller pots (7" should do), and they aren't as thirsty (though don't
let them dry out). Liquid feed once the flowers appear, and then keep
picking the fruits. Freeze in little bags without blanching. One of
those deeply satisfying easy things to grow.

--
Mike.