Old 27-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Rebecca

Default New gardener - french lavender stopped flowering already?

Can anyone advise?

A couple of months ago I bought a gorgeous full flowering french
lavender (papillon?) from my local garden centre but all the flowers
have now died. I thought it was meant to last the summer?

To show my ignorance here, was I meant to cut out the dead flowers to
promote new growth?

If anyone can give me some tips for caring for this plant so I don't
make the same mistake next year (assuming it lasts that long!), I would
be most grateful.

Many thanks
Rebecca

Old 27-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Emrys Davies

"Rebecca" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone advise?

A couple of months ago I bought a gorgeous full flowering french
lavender (papillon?) from my local garden centre but all the flowers
have now died. I thought it was meant to last the summer?

To show my ignorance here, was I meant to cut out the dead flowers to
promote new growth?

If anyone can give me some tips for caring for this plant so I don't
make the same mistake next year (assuming it lasts that long!), I

would
be most grateful.

Many thanks
Rebecca

Rebecca,

I think that this site tells you all you need to know about yout plant.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/search/pl/?C...d&ClassID=4067

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

i hope you've sandy soil, or you gave the lavender lots of drainage; french varieties hate wet having wet roots in winter. living in Manchester i've given up on french lavender even in a soil10% and grit90% mix in a raised south facing bed it died last year, although we did have very wet summer and autumn which probably didn't help it