GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cacti (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96531-cacti.html)

Rob graham 27-06-2005 01:42 PM

Cacti

Frequently I find that my cacti seem to suffer from looking ill. Instead of
being bright green they get a yellow look, and yet any offshoots grow
without this appearance. The main original stems of prickly pears often
become yellowed, and even flaccid as well, whereas their offshoot leaves
seem perfectly fit.

I also have an Aporocactus Conzatii where the main stems are yellowed, but
the side stems are not.

This feature only seems to happen to plants that are stem-like rather than
being globular.

I can't make out what's going on. Can anyone help?

Rob Graham

Martin Brown 27-06-2005 02:10 PM

Rob graham wrote:

Frequently I find that my cacti seem to suffer from looking ill. Instead of
being bright green they get a yellow look, and yet any offshoots grow
without this appearance. The main original stems of prickly pears often
become yellowed, and even flaccid as well, whereas their offshoot leaves
seem perfectly fit.

It's hard to imagine an opuntia suffering this fate. Mine go woody after
a while on the very oldest pads - sort of golden brown. They never go
flaccid unless they are rotting at the roots (sometimes happens to
"cold" hardy ones planted outside in bad winters).

I also have an Aporocactus Conzatii where the main stems are yellowed, but
the side stems are not.

This feature only seems to happen to plants that are stem-like rather than
being globular.

I can't make out what's going on. Can anyone help?

I'd hazard a guess that it is due to some of the stem like plants being
epiphytic and so lime sensitive. Are you in a hard water region.

If it is that you should be able to get a quick recovery by using
miracid feed. I suspect the plant is scavanging metals from the old
tissue to make new growth due to shortage of available magnesium or iron
(or some other trace element).

Root meally bug chewing off the roots is another possibility. Sickly
plant above ground could be a hint of trouble down below.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Rob graham 28-06-2005 09:30 PM

Thanks Martin. I'll look into what you suggest.

Rob