GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   leylandii cuttings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9656-leylandii-cuttings.html)

Chris Kitching 07-03-2003 12:10 AM

leylandii cuttings

what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

Peter Crosland 07-03-2003 06:02 AM

leylandii cuttings

"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

The secret is to dip them in high strength weedkiller before planting!

Brian Watson 07-03-2003 07:03 AM

leylandii cuttings

"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

Incineration?

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

AWM 07-03-2003 08:55 AM

leylandii cuttings

"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

Send in the UN Leylandeyi inspectors to ensure that all leylandeyi are
uprouted and potting sheds and greenhouses containg cutings are destroyed !
Unless B&Q use thier veto.

Jane Ransom 07-03-2003 10:58 AM

leylandii cuttings

In article , Chris
Kitching writes
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

Another unknown poster from ntl - just beware :))))))))))))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Douglas Fir 07-03-2003 04:10 PM

leylandii cuttings

"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

The secret is to dip them in high strength weedkiller before planting!

I have been giving some thought recently on which species of
quick-growing tree to plant as a screen to hide the view of an unsightly
flat-roof garage which is all my down-the-hill neighbour has by way of a
garden. I had thought of tsuga heterophylla and then changed my mind to
thuya plicata, both of them much being nicer than that leylandii.

Then do you know what happened? I read all the smart-alec comments
in this thread and have just ordered 50 leylandii instead.

Result!

Steve Harris 07-03-2003 05:32 PM

leylandii cuttings

In article ,
(Douglas Fir) wrote:

I have been giving some thought recently on which species of
quick-growing tree to plant as a screen to hide the view of an
unsightly flat-roof garage

You'll probably get people advising you on all sorts of non-Leylandii
but they won't do what you ask. One day, someone will bread a
presentable hedging plant that grows to 6' in a season and then stops.
They will be regarded as a saint and they will be very rich. Quite a
trick :-)

Jane Ransom 07-03-2003 07:56 PM

leylandii cuttings

In article , Douglas Fir
writes

I have been giving some thought recently on which species of
quick-growing tree to plant as a screen to hide the view of an unsightly
flat-roof garage which is all my down-the-hill neighbour has by way of a
garden. I had thought of tsuga heterophylla and then changed my mind to
thuya plicata, both of them much being nicer than that leylandii.

Then do you know what happened? I read all the smart-alec comments
in this thread and have just ordered 50 leylandii instead.

Sort of person who cuts off his nose to spite his face!!!!!!
You'll regret it kid, you'll regret it :)))))))))

Rod 07-03-2003 07:56 PM

leylandii cuttings

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

The secret is to dip them in high strength weedkiller before planting!

That *is* one of the tricks, you've let the cat out of the bag ;~))
some commercial rooting hormones work very well as hormone weedkillers when
used at higher doses.

Rod

Peter Crosland 07-03-2003 08:21 PM

leylandii cuttings

Then do you know what happened? I read all the smart-alec comments
in this thread and have just ordered 50 leylandii instead.

I think it is known as being the victim of one's own stupidity!

Alan Holmes 11-03-2003 12:12 AM

leylandii cuttings

"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

It's a pity you are not getting 0% succes rate!

Alan

Alan Holmes 11-03-2003 12:12 AM

leylandii cuttings

"Douglas Fir" wrote in message
"Chris Kitching" wrote in message
what is the secret ingredient to success with leylandii cuttings
i can only get about 10% success with hardwood cuttings

The secret is to dip them in high strength weedkiller before planting!

I have been giving some thought recently on which species of
quick-growing tree to plant as a screen to hide the view of an unsightly
flat-roof garage which is all my down-the-hill neighbour has by way of a
garden. I had thought of tsuga heterophylla and then changed my mind to
thuya plicata, both of them much being nicer than that leylandii.

Then do you know what happened? I read all the smart-alec comments
in this thread and have just ordered 50 leylandii instead.

I strongly suspect you will regret it!

Alan