Old 28-06-2005, 12:28 AM
shazzbat

Default Giant cabbage

A relative has just come back from Jersey and given me some seeds marked
Jersey giant cabbage. Apparently they make walking sticks out of the stalks.
Unfortunately the pamphlet that came with them has been lost.

Anyone grown them? Do I just grow like normal cabbage?

TIA
Steve

Old 28-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Emrys Davies

"shazzbat" wrote in message
A relative has just come back from Jersey and given me some seeds

marked
Jersey giant cabbage. Apparently they make walking sticks out of the

stalks.
Unfortunately the pamphlet that came with them has been lost.

Anyone grown them? Do I just grow like normal cabbage?

TIA
Steve

Steve,

Give it a go, although you may think that it is not worth bothering when
you see the end product on this site.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/code/sho...ticleID=000453

Cabbage Walking Sticks

The Giant Cabbage (brassica oleracae longata) has been cultivated in
Jersey since 1827.
They grow up to 10 feet (3 m) tall and are made into walking sticks at
Samarès Manor.
Seeds to grow your own giant cabbages can be purchased from Samarès
Manor.
Tel: +44 (0) 1534 870551

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Harold Walker

"shazzbat" wrote in message
A relative has just come back from Jersey and given me some seeds marked
Jersey giant cabbage. Apparently they make walking sticks out of the
stalks.
Unfortunately the pamphlet that came with them has been lost.

Anyone grown them? Do I just grow like normal cabbage?

TIA
Steve
I grew a couple years ago as a novelty....I made an excellent walking
stick out of one of them after hardening/drying the stem....the walking
stick looked quite novel after it had been sanded down and varnished and
then waxed...they might not grow to 10 feet the first year but if left
inground over the winter they will the second year...not worth growing as
a veggie tho....cultivate as per a cabbage and you'll not go wrong.....H

Old 28-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

A relative has just come back from Jersey and given me some seeds marked
Jersey giant cabbage. Apparently they make walking sticks out of the stalks.
Unfortunately the pamphlet that came with them has been lost.

Anyone grown them? Do I just grow like normal cabbage?

TIA
Steve

Grow more like brussels cos of the support needed once they get to about
2m high.

The tops are very tasty and its fun for the kids to grow too.
Old 28-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Sacha

On 28/6/05 0:28, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

A relative has just come back from Jersey and given me some seeds marked
Jersey giant cabbage. Apparently they make walking sticks out of the stalks.
Unfortunately the pamphlet that came with them has been lost.

Anyone grown them? Do I just grow like normal cabbage?

When I was a child, living in Jersey, a lot of local people had sticks made
out of the Jersey cabbages. They used to make walking sticks out of them at
L'Etacq Woodcraft in Jersey but I don't know if they do now. But here's a
link to an interesting site.
http://www.thisisjersey.com/code/sho...ticleID=000453
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from jane contains these words:

and click on walking stick cabbage. You get a pop-up with growing
instructions!

Not with how I've got Firefox set, you wouldn't!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 28-06-2005, 11:54 PM