Old 28-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Shrub identifation

I have just been given a cutting from a shrub and it appears to have
'taken'. However, the giver (West Midlands) has no idea of the name of
the shrub and I have not been able to find it in my RHS Encyclopedia -
Plants & Flowers.

The shrub is about 2' tall and has a spread of about 3' 6".
Its branches are almost horizontal and, visually, its leaves could quite
easily be mistaken for those of mint. Its flowers, which are bright
pink, look like a miniature sweet pea and they are borne on 6"-9" spikes
which are somewhat similar in appearance to a bare nettle stalk.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys Davies
I have just been given a cutting from a shrub and it appears to have
'taken'. However, the giver (West Midlands) has no idea of the name of
the shrub and I have not been able to find it in my RHS Encyclopedia -
Plants & Flowers.

The shrub is about 2' tall and has a spread of about 3' 6".
Its branches are almost horizontal and, visually, its leaves could quite
easily be mistaken for those of mint. Its flowers, which are bright
pink, look like a miniature sweet pea and they are borne on 6"-9" spikes
which are somewhat similar in appearance to a bare nettle stalk.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Physostegia? It is a member of the mint family and has pink flowers. But it's a perennial - so maybe not!! Here's a link to some photos:

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ph...oogle%2BSearch

Zoe
Old 29-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Emrys Davies

"ZoeM" wrote in message

Emrys Davies Wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/7gctk

Zoe

--
ZoeM

Not the one, but thanks.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
I have just been given a cutting from a shrub and it appears to have
'taken'. However, the giver (West Midlands) has no idea of the name of
the shrub and I have not been able to find it in my RHS Encyclopedia -
Plants & Flowers.

The shrub is about 2' tall and has a spread of about 3' 6".
Its branches are almost horizontal and, visually, its leaves could quite
easily be mistaken for those of mint. Its flowers, which are bright
pink, look like a miniature sweet pea and they are borne on 6"-9" spikes
which are somewhat similar in appearance to a bare nettle stalk.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Possibly some form of Ononis (Restharrow). Ononis spinosa is shrub, and
there might be more shrubby forms.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-06-2005, 07:56 PM
CK

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
I have just been given a cutting from a shrub and it appears to have
'taken'. However, the giver (West Midlands) has no idea of the name of
the shrub and I have not been able to find it in my RHS Encyclopedia -
Plants & Flowers.

The shrub is about 2' tall and has a spread of about 3' 6".
Its branches are almost horizontal and, visually, its leaves could quite
easily be mistaken for those of mint. Its flowers, which are bright
pink, look like a miniature sweet pea and they are borne on 6"-9" spikes
which are somewhat similar in appearance to a bare nettle stalk.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

could it be Kolkwitzia ??
or possible one of the Deutzias??
Regards,
Chris in Somerset

Old 30-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Kay

In article , CK king@takeawaythenumbe
ryoufirstthoughtof.pilton80.wanadoo.co.uk writes

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
I have just been given a cutting from a shrub and it appears to have
'taken'. However, the giver (West Midlands) has no idea of the name of
the shrub and I have not been able to find it in my RHS Encyclopedia -
Plants & Flowers.

The shrub is about 2' tall and has a spread of about 3' 6".
Its branches are almost horizontal and, visually, its leaves could quite
easily be mistaken for those of mint. Its flowers, which are bright
pink, look like a miniature sweet pea and they are borne on 6"-9" spikes
which are somewhat similar in appearance to a bare nettle stalk.

Hope someone can help.

could it be Kolkwitzia ??
or possible one of the Deutzias??

You missed the description of the flowers as looking like a miniature
sweet pea ;-)
--
Kay

Old 30-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Emrys Davies

"CK" . wanadoo.co.uk
wrote in message ...

[...]

Not those Chris. Thanks.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Emrys Davies

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

Success. I went back to the young lady who gave me the cutting and she
found the plant's label.

It is Salvia Microphylla var. wislizenii
http://tinyurl.com/89r8w

Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM